Technical Lead, Innovation Lab
In a life without sound, our work provides meaning. As the world’s leading hearing care provider, we are not just a company that makes products: we are a team on a mission to help people enjoy the delight of hearing. To enable a life without limitations, we – through our core brands Phonak, Unitron, Hansaton, Advanced Bionics and AudioNova – develop, manufacture and distribute solutions that push the limits of technology and redefine the future of our industry.
Sonova has more than 14,000 committed employees in over 100 countries, all of whom contribute to something greater than themselves – they transform lives. Join our mission and become part of our team!
Sonova is excited to launch a solutions and technology innovation lab at the Communitech Hub. The lab will be a centre for innovation excellence and experimentation to help Sonova imagine and create the future in assisted hearing and other consumer solutions. We’re looking for a Developer Lead; someone who is comfortable working in a fast paced environment, and working closely with a shifting team to create innovative new products.
You and your team will help ensure Sonova is building meaningful, customer centred products & services in the area of consumer & medical apps by engaging directly with customers and other partners in the Communitech ecosystem (corporates, startups, scaleups, academia, and more). You will work closely with internal teams to understand their challenges - and introduce innovative approaches, such as design thinking, lean, agile, prototyping and user testing. And, all within our well-resourced Lab located in the open and collaborative workspace in the Waterloo Region’s Communitech Hub alongside other leaders of corporate innovation, Velocity Garage, and a host of start-ups.
The responsibilities include:
- Being an owner that achieves results through end-to-end project accountability, stakeholder collaboration.
- Building new, innovative product concepts and experiences for different types of Sonova customers.
- Leading a team of software developer interns to take a concept from idea to functional prototype.
- Exploring the use of new and emerging technologies as part of prototype development.
- Participates in Design Sprints to quickly market-test how a prototype should really look and function.
- Mentors interns in software development by teaching them best practices, performing code reviews, etc.
- Shaping sprint demos and pitch concepts to senior technical executives.
- Sharing technical and business insights from projects with other teams just as eager to learn as you are.
- Promotes user-centred design and guide technological change at Sonova.
- Learns from failure. Celebrate wins. Achieves results.
Skills and Experience Required:
- Strong Software Development Experience
- Experience working with startups/scaleups and Corporate
- Experience with Design Thinking or Design Sprint.
- Experience with and interest in managing and mentoring students / employees.
- Excellent programming skills and experience in C#, Java, C++, or other object-oriented language
- Proven track record for taking ideas from inception to deployment, delivering significant business results and experiences that customers love.
- Demonstrated ability to look at traditional problems from new perspectives, and deploy cutting-edge technology to enhance or replace existing platforms.
- Software integration with wearables and/or IoT an asset
- Knowledge of data security as it pertains to personal information and data transmission.
- Proven ability of systematically designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting software
- Passion for code quality and maintainability
- Sense of ownership for software projects
Does this sound like you? Then send us your resume and include links to your GitHub, Stack Overflow, blog, Twitter, etc. where we can learn more about what gets you excited about technology.
We thank all applicants in advance; however only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications will be kept confidential. Sonova is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to complete the application and/or interview process should notify the Director, Human Resources.
Sonova’s hiring practices are aligned with human rights laws, which guarantee every person equal treatment in regard to employment and opportunity for employment, regardless of race, color, creed/religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, mental or physical disability.