Web Designer (Online Volunteer)
Online placement (E-Volunteer)
Partner Location Honduras
Start Date Feb - Apr 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 3 Months
Language Requirements Spanish, English
Cuso International’s e-volunteering program welcomes new and returning volunteers to work with our international program partners and volunteers remotely. E-volunteering offers many of the benefits gained from international volunteering, while having the extra advantage of fitting into one's regular weekly schedule without needing a passport. Contributing and giving back to a community, gaining new skills, and making new connections are common benefits of e-volunteering and for Cuso International it is a great opportunity to engage more people in its mission.
The Volunteer’s Role
As a Web Designer/Developer e-volunteer, you will be responsible for the design, layout and coding of a website. As an e-volunteer, you will be involved with the technical and graphical aspects of a website - how the site works and how it looks. The developer might also be involved with the maintenance and update of the site.
You will also be responsible for improving and enhancing the overall operation of the organization by providing skills, expertise and knowledge around web technologies (both inter- and intranet).
An Intermediate level in Spanish is an asset but is not mandatory for this e-volunteer placement.
As an e-volunteer, you will:
- Establishing the target audience for a website and identifying the type of content it will host.
- Write the programming code, either from scratch or by adapting existing website software and graphics packages to meet organizational requirements.
- Test the website and identify any technical problems.
- Upload the site to a server and register it with different search engines.
- Develop and maintain Internet/Intranet applications and web pages to meet end-user requirements.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Management Information Systems strongly preferred. Five to seven years in .NET development experience in lieu of education degree.
- Advanced concepts, practices, and procedures within the web-development field. Experience with Visual Basic, VB .NET, SQL, ORACLE, HTML, and XM
Essential Professional Background:
- Minimum of three to five years of Internet Development experience using .NET or Java technologies.