Location: Downtown Toronto Office OR Niagara Falls Office
CWD has been in business from more than 56 years. We are currently looking for an inquisitive, curious, improvement-oriented and very hands-on Embedded Developer who is passionate about consumer electronics. You will join our rapidly growing company working within the Research and Development team for CWD’s Levana (Mylevana.com) and Defender (Defender-usa.com) products that are being sold in all major mass merchant retailers including Walmart, Costco, Best Buy and Amazon throughout North America and over 80 countries. The Embedded Developer will contribute to the product development process and be a key player in changing the way people think about consumer electronics by developing the easiest to use, most stylish and best value products.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
New Product Development:
- Firmware/Software development: Firmware for Cortex based micro-controller
- Bill of Material Optimization: Research components for next generation products (sensors, microcontrollers, NFC, BLE, displays, accelerometers, etc)
- Prototyping: Bread-boarding and prototyping of electro-mechanical systems
- Circuit design: Support product development by creating block diagrams, schematic entry, layout, and BOM management
- Testing: Evaluation of prototype, pre-production and production designs to meet product requirements
- Communication: Interact with internal and external multidisciplinary teams to coordinate and achieve project objectives in a prompt manner
Continuous Product Improvement
- Root Cause Analysis: Analyze product returns to come up with solutions to improve products on future mass products
- Version Control: Monitor version control for software, firmware and document upkeep using a third-party software to ensure all changes and updates are tracked
- Embedded Systems Testing: Executing both hardware and software testing and validation. Implementing these hardware and software engineering changes to products that are currently in the market
- Customer Satisfaction Analysis: Continually monitor product reviews to update products according to customer issues and wants through online reviews, social media and customer support call drivers, returns and defect analysis
- External Communication: Communicate production issues, product issues, and customer feedback to business partners and collaborate on product improvements.
- Internal Communication: Update the company on product improvements monthly.
- Other duties as assigned
The successful candidate requires
Education and Experience:
- University Degree in Electronics Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field
- Embedded Engineering diploma would also be considered
- Two to four (2 to 4) years work experience in a similar position
- A minimum of three (3) years experience working with consumer electronics
- Understanding of common communications protocols (e.g. SPI, UART, I2C, USB), debugging practices (e.g. JTAG and associated gdb integrations), and basic electrical design principles
- Experience with electronics lab equipment (oscilloscopes, soldering iron, etc.)
- Familiar with PCB design (Altium) and circuit simulation tools (P-Spice)
- Software knowledge: C/C++, embedded software development and debugging on ARM platform
- Familiarity with wireless communication protocols (e.g. Bluetooth Classic, Bluetooth Low Energy, Wi-Fi, NFC).
- Experience in performance optimization (memory, speed, power).
- Experience with ultra-low-power systems
- Experience with real-time operating systems
- Experience with Accelerometer algorithm implementation a plus
- Experience in iOS or Android development a plus
- Advanced Microsoft Excel Skills
- Flexible and creative in approach to problem solving
- Simplify: detangle issues to their core factors and focus on these
- Innovate down to the details
- Strive to create what’s different Forward Thinking: Need to look beyond today and understand how things will change tomorrow in our business
- Self-awareness: strong desire to develop and improve yourself and knowing when to seek outside expertise and experience
- Motivation: remain self motivated while creating enthusiasm in others
- Empathy: understand and care about people’s current reality
- Social skills: understand people, develop trust, and help them
If the above interests you, then apply to join a fast paced, creative, and energetic team!