We are currently looking for a Junior Accountant who will be responsible for various activities related to tax and recycling compliance, inventory reconciliations, financial record maintenance and financial statement preparation.
Your journey at CWD will begin in the Accounts Receivable division before moving on to the Junior Accountant role in November 2019 which will provide you with the foundations to succeed in this role.
CWD is a CPA Ontario Mentor and the hours in the Junior Accountant and partial hours from the Accounts Receivable role will count towards a CPA designation.
As a full-time member of the team you will enjoy perks such as a great work-life balance, competitive health benefits, enhanced professional development subsidies, exciting company events, working within a goal driven, charismatic team and career growth opportunities.
Key Result Areas:
Junior Accountant (Commencing November 2019)
- Reporting: Preparation of the sales tax returns (US, Canadian & International) and ensure the accuracy of tax provisions and other tax accounts in the financial statements
- System Review: Maintenance of tax software and reconciliation of tax accounts
- Research: Identify and research tax issues which impact the provision to maintain compliance
- Audit: Preparation of the annual audit file for the tax provisions. Liaising with external auditors and internal personnel on tax provision matters
- Investigation: Review and respond to reassessment notices from tax authorities
- Planning: Calculate and facilitate payment of tax installments in accordance with applicable legislation
- Tax Credits: Assist with the claim of the different tax credits (SR&DE)
- Reporting: Monthly recycling fee submissions
- Research: Identify and research changes to the recycling programs to ensure compliance
- Analysis: Ensure accuracy of recycling provisions and other recycling accounts in the financial statements
- System Review: Maintain accuracy of inventory records including inventory values and quantities
- Reconciliation: Assist with inventory counts and reconcile adjustments to inventory sub-ledgers
Financial Analysis and Reporting
- Reporting: Assist with assembling and completing all monthly financial reports (ex: Trial Balance, General Ledger, Financial Statements) in accordance with ASPE
- Analysis: Assist with account analysis and reconciliation, including bank, inventory, accruals, and general ledger accounts
- Recommendations: Assist with continuous process improvement initiatives
- Support the Team: Provide financial analysis and reports for other departments as needed
Accounts Receivable (February to October 2019)
- Full Cycle: Full-cycle accounts receivable functions, from invoicing to collections of all accounts.
- Assurance & Accuracy: Accurately record customer transactions in accordance with departmental procedures and budgets
- Reporting: Assist with generating and reviewing reports, such as aged accounts receivable reports and daily summaries
- Updating System: Update the Accounting system with customer information, when necessary
- Reconciliation: Reconcile customer accounts
- Investigating & Problem Solving: Analyze accounts and resolve issues independently
- Payment Application: Responsible for processing customer payments and entering deposits for wholesale customers
- Collections: Assists in making collection calls for selected targeted accounts, while maintaining excellent customer service
- Ensuring Validation: Responsible for processing credit memos, validating claims and filing disputes for invalid deductions
- Process Payments: Process payments and deposits for marketplace customers
- Investigating: Troubleshoot EDI and sales tax issues
- System Review: Maintain and enter Resale Certificates into tax software
- Billing: Assist with billing and/or refunding customer orders, while ensuring proper safeguards are in place
The successful candidate requires:
Education and Experience
- University Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
- Working towards or completed a CPA designation
- 1-3 years related experience
- Strong/Advances Microsoft Excel skills
- Strong attention to detail, ability to multitask, excellent organizational skills and time management skills
- Strong, organization, communication and interpersonal skills
- Analytical and highly motivated, self starter
- Ability to work in a fast paced and constantly changing environment
If the above interests you, then apply to join a fast paced, creative, and energetic team!
Candidates who reside within a 45 minute commute of our office will be given preference.
Please note: This is a 40 hour a week position based at our headquarters in Niagara Falls, ON. This position does not provide an option to work remotely.