Position: UX Designer
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Experience: 1-3+ Years experience as a UX/UI Designer
Education: Relevant undergraduate degree or college diploma
Division: OTTO Motors
Clearpath provides self-driving vehicle technology and services to over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands. Proprietary hardware, software, and services are delivered through the company’s industrial and research divisions: OTTO Motors (www.ottomotors.com) and Clearpath Robotics (www.clearpathrobotics.com).
We employ a diverse and highly talented team who live and breathe robotics. We believe that work must have a high “cool” factor and every day should bring new knowledge. We need more passionate people on our team who are willing and able to push the boundaries of robotics into focused and practical applications.
Clearpath is automating the world and we need your help. Got what it takes?
About the Job
The field of autonomous robots and the study of human-robot interaction is both new & exciting. As a UX Designer, you will be responsible for blazing the trail for how people interact with the OTTO Platform. We merge heavy machinery and artificial intelligence to enable our robots to intelligently navigate and interact with the physical world. You will be responsible for defining and crafting new and intuitive user experiences for our robot control software. This role works closely with the engineering team from initial concept development all the way through to deployment.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to make our industrial vehicles feel like a member of the team. We are focused on making our self-driving vehicles approachable and reliable through elegant and intuitive user interfaces. You will work on all facets of UX design and strategy from research to prototype.
User Experience Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Senior UX Designer to identify and distill user problems into interaction models, user flows, wireframes, screen designs, prototypes and specifications as needed.
- Ensure design consistency across all platforms and products, and collaborate with fellow designers to constantly refine design language.
- Communicate design concepts and deliverables to stakeholders and implementers clearly and convincingly.
- Take deep dives into the habits of our users to learn about their struggles, needs, and motivations.
- Study human interaction with robots and evaluate opportunities to create novel user experiences.
- Work with product managers to determine requirements, articulate user needs, and translate those needs into concepts and elegant interface designs.
- Work with engineers to deal with technical constraints for projects.
You want to work for a fast-paced growing company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with less than 100% effort. You want to be surrounded by people like you; creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on challenging and rewarding problems. You are passionate about helping define an industry and echo our aspirations to make self-driving vehicles the new standard for material transport within industrial centers.
- Your portfolio has some best-in-class work. You're a walking encyclopedia of micro interactions in use (on mobile, web, desktop, etc), and have nuanced views on how to make many of them even better.
- You work together with Product Managers and Engineers, not for them. You thrive best when helping to define the requirements, not just translating them into designs. You facilitate and draw the best design ideas from teammates.
- You are observant, empathetic and aren’t afraid to ask the right questions at the right time. You can synthesize and communicate your findings to help inform design, and business decisions.
- You are comfortable navigating design problems within technical domains and dealing with the needs of engineers.
- You know that a good design requires research and multiple iterations. You are passionate enough to fall in love with your work but humble enough to tear it down and start again.
- You are able to explain how your best work came to be, and you can show us the processes you went through.
- You have an innate sense of hustle and are always looking to grow and learn new things.
- 1-3 years of experience designing in a product development setting.
- An impressive portfolio clearly demonstrating a variety of beautiful, clean, and intuitive designs.
- Relevant undergraduate degree or college diploma.
- Ninja level skills with Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, InVision, Whiteboards & Post-It notes.
- Industrial Design or User Research background.
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS/Sass/Less.
Please be sure to include a link to your portfolio or attach work samples!
Clearpath is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sex, veteran status or sexual orientation. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1 (844) 733-6886.