You are an experienced embedded software developer with expertise in crafting solutions using Bluetooth and Bluetooth LE wireless technologies. You understand how to adjust transmission power, throughput, and latency to meet the unique requirements of battery-powered devices. You develop optimized, event-driven software for resource-constrained microcontrollers and DSPs in bare-metal and RTOS environments. You enjoy working directly with hardware - protocol analyzers, oscilloscopes and JTAG debuggers are your go-to tools. You are familiar with Bluetooth at the HCI layer, and understand how to solve challenging issues by analyzing packet captures and referencing technical specifications. You understand how to combine Bluetooth with other technologies to create unique consumer-focused products. You enjoy the challenge of working in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary environment to create compelling new technologies. You’re excited about wearable technologies and want to use your unique skills to shape future generations of our smartglasses and accessory products.
About our team:
We’re the Embedded Software team, and we deliver the firmware and lowest level software that drive our smartglasses and accessory products. Our team consists of developers with experience in creating robust, reliable software that runs on a wide variety of embedded processors. Our software engineers have expertise in areas such as sensors, digital signal processing, power management, RTOS kernel design, audio, power management, Bluetooth and wireless networking, and display technologies. Our team works closely with other engineering teams (electrical engineering, advanced R&D, and various software teams) to find solutions to complex challenges.
What you’ll do:
- Develop solutions that push the boundaries of Bluetooth technologies to create a compelling, feature-rich connectivity experience for Focals smartglasses and its accessories.
- Write robust, reliable, and efficient application firmware using Bluetooth, Bluetooth Low Energy and other wireless networking technologies
- Work closely with other teams to solve cross-functional challenges to provide exceptional wireless performance to customers.
- Within 15 days you will:
- Be assigned to a project team and start attending their scrum meetings.
- Become familiar with the codebase, standards, design patterns, and tools used by the project team
- Make minor code changes and simple bugfixes to gain familiarity with the development process
- Within 30 days you will:
- Begin prototyping new Bluetooth features for Focals smartglasses on an existing codebase
- Contribute to code reviews, design meetings, and planning sessions with other firmware developers working in the domain
- Design a solution and present it to your team for peer review
- Beyond 30 days you will:
- Make substantial contributions to Bluetooth on Focals smartglasses and accessories, guiding the software architecture and feature roadmap for future iterations of the product
- Active participation as a member of the embedded software community, representing your project team in cross-functional meetings and product design reviews
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuous improvement - as an individual contributor, and as a member of a project team
What you need:
- A desire to be more than just a coder, and to continuously learn as part of a cutting-edge engineering team
- Strong coding skills in C or C++
- Experience with Bluetooth Classic and Bluetooth LE wireless networking protocols in embedded systems
- Strong understanding of core Bluetooth protocols and profiles (HCI, SDP, SCO, ACL, L2CAP, RFCOMM, SPP, GATT, GAP)
- Experience developing software for 8/16/32-bit microcontrollers and/or low-power DSPs
- Experience writing software for bare metal and RTOS-based targets
- Expertise in interfacing microcontrollers with standard protocols such as I2C, SPI, and UART
- Experience writing device drivers for onboard and external peripherals
- Track record of delivering high-quality software in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary environment
- Proficiency with a VCS (preferably git)
- Degree in computer science, engineering, or equivalent (in lieu of degree, minimum four years of relevant work experience)
Bonus points for:
- Experience developing software for Bluetooth MCU/SoC processors with vendor-provided stacks/SDKs
- Experience using Bluetooth in multi-role / dual-mode configuration
- Familiarity with the BlueZ/Linux Bluetooth stack
- Familiarity with Android Bluetooth at the HAL layer
- Experience with bluetooth qualification, including PTS testing
- Experience with real-time audio streaming, supporting A2DP
- Familiarity with modern C++ techniques, as applied to (C++11 and beyond)
- Experience with multi-processor systems
- Familiarity with other low-power wireless technologies
- Familiarity with debugging using GDB
- Experience with Embedded Linux
- Knowledge of IP Networking
- Familiarity with Python or other scripting languages
- Experience using Agile methodologies including Scrum and Kanban
- Relevant personal projects and open source work
- People leadership experience
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design.