You are an experienced and innovative scientist/engineer with expertise in nanopatterning and lithography. You have solved complex fabrication challenges and developed innovative nanoscale devices. You have a thirst for knowledge with a broad technical background and thrive in a fast-paced high-tech development environment. You excel at taking a high-level goal with no obvious solutions, quickly becoming an expert in the relevant areas of technology, and creating proof-of-concept prototypes as quickly as possible.
What You’ll Do:
- Within 15 days,
- Understand tech behind North’s s current product, and next-gen products.
- Understand current project status, resource gaps, and areas for improvement.
- Within 30 days,
- Develop internal capabilities, connect and coordinate with fabrication facilities to produce prototypes
- Work with the optics team to design and fabricate advanced optical components
- Understand the current state of the art of production and manufacturing
- Within 60 days and beyond,
- Identify and develop metrology requirements for structural and functional characterization. Support characterization efforts and define procedures for characterization.
- Work with other teams to define a fabrication/technology innovation roadmap for future products
What You’ll Need:
- Expertise in nanofabrication of semiconductor or optical devices
- Strong analytical and computational skills
- PhD in Optics/Physics/Photonics/Semiconductors or a related field
- Proficiency with a broad range of laboratory tools and techniques
- Demonstrated track record of solving tough technical problems.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, constantly evolving environment
- A hacker mentality and the ability to make stuff
Bonus points for:
- FDTD solvers, Lumerical or Rsoft
- Zemax or Code V
- Expertise in design of diffractive optics
- Expertise in e-beam lithography
- Expertise in thin-film deposition techniques
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design.