Lens Integration & Manufacturing Researcher
You have a thirst for knowledge with a broad technical background and thrive in a fast-paced high-tech development environment. You excel at taking a high-level goal with no obvious solutions, quickly becoming an expert in the relevant areas of technology, and creating proof-of-concept prototypes as quickly as possible.
What You’ll Do:
The position will require a researcher with an opto-mechanical and materials science background familiar with component design and fabrication process capabilities for forming an integrated assembly with a specific optical function. The candidate will develop and execute a plan for research, concept development, modelling and experimental characterization.
- Within 30 days, understand all opto-mechanical and display characteristics of existing and next-gen products
- Read documentation, attend meetings, talk to team members
- Within 60 days, have an opto-mechanical framework setup to model components and systems
- Work with others within North, and external consultants and suppliers, to develop concepts and gather requirements
- Understand and contribute to existing system modelling
- Coordinate with vendors, and internal teams on requirements. Help with details, documentation, packaging issues, etc.
- Within 4 months, design and fabricate prototype optics for use in the existing or future display architectures
- Design the benchtop setup to characterize the new components
- Procure/fabricate all components on a budget, using existing or off-the-shelf parts where possible
- Design the experiment to prove or disprove the riskiest aspects of the technology as fast as possible
- Within 7 months, have working prototypes
- Obtain modified or custom components where needed
- Work with the rest of the product teams to integrate the technology in the latest prototypes
- Test as quickly as possible in real-world usage
What You’ll Need:
- Experience designing, building and testing optical systems
- Materials and processes knowledge and application experience
- Advanced engineering or applied science degree in optics or materials
Bonus points for:
- Ophthalmic experience
- Consumer products industry experience
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design.
More search results
Intermediate/Senior Software Engineer – Imaging S…
Huron Technologies International Inc.
Marketing and Lead Generation Manager
Project Manager | eSolutionsGroup (a GHD company)
Front End Angular Security Builder Extraordinaire