Optical Metrology Engineer
You’re an experienced optical engineer/metrologist with expertise in and a passion for metrology. You are looking for an opportunity to draw upon your experience to create innovative optical solutions to tackle the hardest problems in the industry. You thrive in collaborative team environments and enjoy opportunities to contribute your ideas.
What You’ll Do:
You will work on the application of effective metrology methods for the Incoming Quality Control and Manufacturing groups. You will also play an important role in vendor support, where your expertise will support vendor qualification and component requirements. You will also provide guidance to the product development groups on new component concepts and in the metrology of unique prototype parts.
- Within 20 days you will:
- Develop familiarity with the optical metrology equipment, methods and metrics used by the quality and manufacturing teams
- Develop a good understanding of the optical components that make up the company’s product
- Understand the supplier base for our optical components
- Develop a familiarity of the fabrication procedures and metrics presently used by the manufacturing teams
- Within 40 days you will achieve at least three of the following:
- Be capable of operating the optical metrology equipment currently in place
- Understand the applications, strengths, and shortcomings of each piece of metrology equipment
- Support purchasing activities through assessment of vendor quality control
- Data analysis of incoming optical measurements and correlation with incoming supplier data
- Consult with fixture development teams to advise on optical metrology issues
- Within 60 days:
- Perform full measurements on lots from new suppliers as part of qualification
- Hold data review meetings
- Gauge R+R, control charting of current measurements
- Proactively evaluate and recommend alternative metrology strategies where warranted
- Perform non-standard optical measurements outside the scope of regular incoming IQC - i.e. requests from mechanical and optics team as part of development, requests from R&D, etc.
- Identify weaknesses and help develop solutions in concert with other engineers;
- Perform troubleshooting metrology to support production as needed
Bonus points for:
- Six Sigma (or similar) credentials
- Knowledge of Zemax or Code V
- Knowledge of GD&T standards, ISO 10110 optical drawing
- Experience working in a clean room environment
- Experience in working in and supporting an optical production environment
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design.