Mechanical Design Engineer
You’re a creative Mechanical Design Engineer with exceptional design intuition. You want to collaborate with a team to build a cool new computing form factor that has never existed before. You’ll work with our mechanical team to solve difficult problems, meet tight deadlines, build awesome products, and assist with designing for manufacture. If you have a strong mechanical background combined with an acute eye for detail and you’re excited to be part of a growing , cutting-edge technology company, this job may be for you!
What You’ll Do:
- Work with a talented cross-functional project team to translate industrial design into a manufacturable solution that incorporates all product requirements to fulfill use cases and optimize the customer experience
- Develop creative solutions for complex engineering problems
- Design the next generation of wearables including: concept generation (component level, subsystem level, product level), simulation (FEA, CFD) prototyping, design verification, testing (test plans, custom test fixtures)
- Conduct design and schedule reviews, prepare test plans and related documentation
What You'll Need:
- You will have 8+ years of experience designing complex consumer products. A high level of experience is required in the following areas:
- Various manufacturing processes, materials, finishing (cosmetic, environmental)
- Designing consumer electronics products for high volume manufacturing
- PCB layout, Flex circuit design for high density electronics. Minimizing volume while optimizing access for assembly and test.
- Precision mechanics with tight tolerances, GD&T and inspection drawings
- System level layout of critical components where the balance of form, weight, CoG, thermal effects need to be considered to optimize the overall product.
- 3D CAD design experience (SolidWorks preferred), with exposure to advanced surface modelling
- Experience sourcing and developing critical partners/suppliers both locally and overseas
Bonus Points For:
- Having worked within the wearables industry
- FEA and Thermal simulation
- Sealing/waterproofing design experience
- CMF related work
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design.