At Sonova, our vision is straightforward. We foster a world in which there is a solution to every hearing loss and all people equally enjoy the delight of hearing. A deep commitment to help improve the lives of people with hearing loss unites our family of innovative brands including Unitron, headquartered right here in Kitchener. Collectively, we aim to be the most respected hearing care company in the world
We are not just a company that makes products: we are a team on a mission to help people enjoy the delight of hearing. To enable a life without limitations, we – through our core brands Phonak, Unitron, Hansaton, Advanced Bionics and AudioNova – develop, design manufacture and distribute solutions that push the limits of technology and redefine the future of our industry. Join our mission and become part of our amazing team!
As a Data Scientist you will apply your knowledge and experience to prepare, clean, and study data to help support our International Marketing team! Working in the area of data preparation, data mining, and advanced analytics your goal will be to further strengthen Sonova’s businesses by improving quality of decision making, quality of reporting and supporting new business models. You will get a chance to directly see the impact of your work as we implement your results and recommendations into our applications and markets.
What you’ll do:
- Develop and code data models and algorithms (supervised and unsupervised) to apply to data sets while having scalability in mind
- Use predictive modeling for various projects like churn prediction or predictive maintenance
- Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy
- Assist with deployment of models
- Assist with the search for explanations and underlying causes
- Apply statistical hypothesis testing methods to estimate the impact of decisions and quantify the uncertainty surrounding decision-making.
- Use your strong proficiency in scripting to design schemas and use data marts for the purposes of answering ad hoc business requests while having distributed computing and scalability in mind
- Continuously improve the quality of available data and reproducibility of analyses by developing and contributing to standard processes
- Create descriptive analyses that help to understand important trends in the data
- Develop business and data understanding and act as analytics counterpart in projects, while having data models in mind which fulfill the needs to achieve the preferred outcome (data marts, reports, models)
- Maintain data dictionaries and document code to support knowledge transfer and guarantee interdisciplinary work and handover of tasks
- Work with internal teams like Marketing, R&D, eSolutions to identify new value opportunities from data-driven insights for the future of our building technology business
- Communicate findings
- Take a representative role as in-house knowhow carrier in regard to statistical models and the models’ limitation
What you need:
- Bachelor or Master degree
- Fluency in computer technologies while having a business mindset
- Hands-on experience in the domain of data science. Experience in healthcare / medical device is an asset
- Demonstrated analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to work collaboratively within interdisciplinary, remote and dynamic teams
- Proven ability to turn data into action, emphasizing the ability to understand and utilize large datasets representing complex phenomena and to present findings in a clear and cohesive manner
- Must demonstrate ability to present information in formal and informal settings and impart understanding of complex ideas to others
- Proficiency in using different languages like Python (Jupyter Notebook), R for statistical and transformational purposes, strong understanding of distributed computing (Hadoop) ability to work with HDP stack (e.g. Pyspark on Azure Databricks)
- Knowledge of SQL, KNIME, Power BI is a plus
Things we offer:
- An exciting and challenging work environment
- Lots of fun events
- Good work/life balance
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Training and development opportunities
- Opportunity to work on a global team
Don't meet all the criteria? If you’re willing to go all in and learn we'd love to hear from you!
Sonova is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, provincial, or local law.