PR & Marketing Manager
Role: PR & Marketing Manager
Reports: Chief of Staff
About NEXT Canada:
NEXT Canada is a national, non-profit organization that develops exceptional talent to build world class ventures and propel technology adoption. Founded in 2010 as The Next 36 by a group of pioneering business leaders and academics, NEXT Canada is today a leader in the delivery of cutting-edge programming designed to foster lifelong entrepreneurship in three streams: NextAI, Next 36 and Next Founders; and, starting in 2019 with the launch of Next Health and Next ED, programs to support the adoption of AI and emerging technologies in businesses and other organizations.
Our programs, delivered through meaningful partnerships between government and the private sector, strengthen the foundations of Canada’s current and future health and prosperity.
NEXT Canada is seeking an engaging, creative, well organized and talented person to take on an exciting leadership role.
A part of NEXT’s management team, you will be responsible for the development and execution of NEXT Canada’s communications and marketing strategy (i.e. position NEXT’s brand, voice and differentiation; broad integrated plans to build NEXT’s profile, grow the ecosystem, promote new programs; develop execution plans with measurable targets) working with the Chief Executive Officer, leadership team, and other staff.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Work with the Chief of Staff and other members of the NEXT leadership team to develop and oversee strategy for external marketing channels, e.g. NEXT website and social media (with majority of day-to-day updates and content written by the Marketing Assistant).
- Act as the internal media lead and liaise with external media (e.g. Globe and Mail, TechCrunch, CityTV, etc.) to communicate stories of NEXT Canada and its entrepreneurs in order to generate positive publicity, brand awareness and thought leadership. Includes press releases and media advisories.
- Advise NEXT Canada’s spokespeople (CEO, Board members, staff) and entrepreneurs on media outreach strategy and providing media training as necessary
- Compile media coverage for NEXT Canada, as well as media coverage received for its entrepreneurs, to collect metrics and share monthly reporting
- The preparation of one-pagers for venture profiles on the NEXT website and external collateral (i.e. bio packages)
- Escort media when they come to NEXT Canada/support entrepreneurs when they have interviews
- Develop the brand guidelines and manage the NEXT Canada brand strategy for the office, the website, and marketing collateral
- Manage the communications and marketing team, supporting their growth, performance and workflow, as well as the culture of passion, openness, creativity, fun and collaboration across the organization
- Hire and oversee third-party contractors and service-providers, developing budgets, ensuring value for money in contracts, and providing feedback on execution of work
- Work with the NEXT team to input and maintain up-to-date contact records in the organization’s CRM system
- A solid understanding of marketing principals and digital marketing practices
- Experience creating and executing PR campaigns, writing media releases and working with journalists
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with email marketing campaigns and relevant software programs
- Proficiency in social media management and publishing platforms
- Web design and content management skills an asset (CMS and/or HTML & CSS)
- Experience / familiarity with innovation and startup environments
- Good multi-tasker; can effectively manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Highly organized, detail oriented, and works effectively under pressure
- A flexible and cooperative team player; positive “can-do” attitude
- Highly personable and outgoing
- High level of integrity and professionalism when dealing with diverse stakeholder groups
- Keen to work in a growing, dynamic and ambitious organization as a key member of a small team
The pay range for this position is $75,000 - $85,000, to be negotiated based on qualifications and experience. NEXT also offers a competitive benefits package and group RRSP program.
NEXT Canada is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We offer accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout our recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview, please advise us if you require accommodation. Information received relating to accommodation will be confidentially maintained.
Qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to submit their CV and brief (less than 1 page) cover letter by Monday, January 21, 2019 to email@example.com. NEXT Canada thanks all candidates for their applications. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.