Software Engineering Manager (Research Solutions)
Position: Software Engineering Manager
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Education: Bachelor’s degree in engineering or software
Experience: 5-7 years’ experience
Division: Clearpath Robotics
At Clearpath Robotics, we make robots for research and application development. Our clients are world leaders in robotics and range from universities to some of the biggest, best known companies on the planet.
We employ a diverse and highly talented team who live and breathe robotics. We believe that work must have a high “cool” factor and every day should bring new knowledge. We need more passionate people on our team who are willing and able to push the boundaries of robotics into focused and practical applications.
Clearpath is automating the world and we need your help. Got what it takes?
About the Job
Clearpath Robotics is scaling up our engineering team, as we take on bigger and better projects. Now we need additional technical leadership to help our Research Products team continue growing and keep our projects on track. If you’d like to be a part of unmanned systems making an impact and don’t want to be limited by a specific market, this is where you should be!
As the Software Engineering Manager, you will lead and manage our small engineering team (mostly software) by providing tactical day-to-day guidance, including establishing team objectives and priorities, providing performance and development feedback, as well as applying your technical expertise to solve complex problems. You will scale the team to match our project requirements and establish improvement initiatives. Additionally, you will take ownership of software project management and report status to the business so we can build winning strategies together.
Most importantly, you are not afraid to wear multiple hats! You are eager to join in on the smallest problem (fixing this solder joint) all the way up to the largest (pitch, plan, execute, and interface with clients on million-dollar deals)!
Your primary responsibilities will be:
- Resource and team management, scheduling
- Project scoping and ownership
- Project management
- Engineering Product Management
- Lead engineering efficiency improvements
- Team recruitment and evaluation
- Providing mentorship
Additional tasks may include:
- New technology evaluations / initiatives
- Customer Facing Discussions
- Inter-department interfacing
- Being the first line of defense against robot uprisings
You want to work for a small company that thinks big and dreams huge. You like to do as well as manage. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You want to be surrounded by people like you; creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on challenging and rewarding problems. Herding cats is the easy part, getting them to write clean, efficient, warning free software, that’s where the challenge lies.
- 5-7 years of experience in a technical environment in a related field
- Management background with specialization in software for robotics, aerospace, mobile or similar
- Software Project management and reporting
- Software architecture, design, review and quality processes
- Software or Electrical Engineering background preferred
- Strong passion for managing/teaching others and you’ve got evidence that people love to work for you
- Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to support a strong technical competence
Bonus points for:
- Experience with stationary or mobile robotics
- Embedded and Linux Software environments
- Business case development and budgeting experience
- Knowing what the robot password is
Clearpath is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sex, veteran status or sexual orientation. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.