At Alert Labs, we are passionate about saving natural resources, protecting our customers’ properties from water damage, and improving the operational efficiencies of cities, school boards, restaurants, and insurance companies.
Alert Labs is innovating in the IoT (Internet of Things) space. We build affordable, simple to deploy and reliable sensor networks targeted at protecting our customers’ homes and properties. We bring the benefits of IoT to customers of all technical levels. By being thoughtful and elegant in our design, our products are friendly and easy for anyone to use.
We are passionate about what we do and are driven to create great solutions. We value results, not hours worked. We offer a flexible work schedule that allows you to maintain a health work/life balance without sacrificing your personal life or delivering ordinary products. We believe that innovation comes from every member of the team and that the best designs combine technical skills with creativity to achieve great results. We provide an open environment that will allow your job to grow with you.
As an embedded software developer, you will be creating low-level software for IoT devices. You’ll program mesh networks, communicate to sensors and radio modules over I2C/SPI/UART, develop error correction and filtering algorithms, and come up with efficient ways to push our data into the cloud.
There’s never a dull day at Alert Labs and with a whole stable of upcoming product releases, that’s never been more true than right now. Over the next year, we plan to finalize an extensive suite of utility monitoring devices and you’ll be a key part of the process.
We are looking for developers who can create well-designed, testable, and efficient code for all parts of the system. We value developers who are enthusiastic, engaged, and eager to work in a team committed to delivering industry-leading products and software.
- A solid understanding of C++
- Experience programming in an embedded environment
- Self-starter with ability to take on large independent projects
- Experience collaborating with electrical engineers (or being the electrical engineer!) on projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
At least one of:
- Experience in a RTOS embedded environment
- Experience with Cortex M processors (bonus points for experience with STMicro tools)
- Experience with network communication (TCP/UDP/HTTP)
- Understanding of embedded protocols (I2C/SPI)
- Experience with sensors of various types (accelerometers, temperature, ultrasonic, infrared)
Nerdy t-shirts are an asset.
Some Additional Benefits:
- We are located in vibrant and fun downtown Kitchener, across from the bus station
- We keep a cupboard stocked with free snacks and a fridge full of drinks
- We have regular happy hours (wide range of options)
- We offer a benefits package that starts on your first day and have a flexible vacation policy
- Experience is experience – whether it is full time or co-op. We encourage new graduates with interesting or relevant co-op placements to apply.