Position: Application Development Specialist
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Experience: 1-2 years of experience. New graduates welcome.
Education: College diploma or university degree in engineering, science, quality, food, or another applicable field.
About P&P Optica:
P&P Optica (PPO) is dedicated to improving the safety, quality, and efficiency of food production in North America through the development of its innovative Smart Imaging technologies. Our Smart Imaging products and systems incorporate PPO’s world-class expertise in hyperspectral imaging and data analysis to push the boundaries of what is possible for real-time food product analysis. PPO is rapidly growing to meet these opportunities and we’re looking for talented individuals to join our team. At PPO we believe it’s important to enjoy and take pride in what we do. We strive to ensure a fun, friendly, and respectful work environment that continually offers new and interesting challenges. PPO also provides many opportunities to learn and grow within the company. We strive to promote from within whenever possible.
About the Position:
This role focuses on the investigation and development of new applications for PPO’s Smart Imaging System. This includes designing and executing feasibility studies as well as adapting existing food applications to new products and materials. Other tasks involve designing experiments and collecting data to train PPO’s machine learning algorithms. The performance of these algorithms is improved over time with thorough testing and fine-tuning of the training data. The applications team is also involved in the install, testing, and commissioning of Smart Imaging Systems in customer facilities. PPO prides itself on maintaining strong customer relations by providing quality equipment and exemplary customer support.
- Designing and executing feasibility studies to examine new applications
- Presenting experimental results, conclusions, and recommendations to decision-makers
- Performing applications data analysis using software tools (Excel, Python)
- Managing test system equipment and adapting as necessary over time
- Collaborating with customers and partners to explore new applications and coordinate experiments
- Documenting all aspects of research activity and data collection
Additional Tasks May Include:
- Managing co-op students to aid with the execution of application development and research
- Supporting development and testing of Smart Imaging products and systems
- Installing, testing, and commissioning systems throughout North America
You want to work for a fast-paced, growing company that is helping its customers to be more successful through the use of innovative products and solutions. You want to be part of a team of motivated people like yourself who are eager to solve challenging problems and learn new skills. You have a positive attitude, care about doing things right, and are motivated by making a positive impact.
- Experience with design and execution of lab-based experiments
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with technical documentation experience
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to use statistical analysis on experimental data and draw conclusions based on the analysis
- Ability to deliver results under pressure
- Food industry experience is a significant asset
- Working knowledge of optics, instrumentation, or spectroscopy
- Python programming experience
- Comfortable working with the LINUX operating system