Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Experience: 1-2 years relevant work experience. New graduates welcome.
Education: University degree in engineering, physics, photonics, or another applicable field.
About P&P Optica:
P&P Optica (PPO) is dedicated to improving the safety, quality, and efficiency of food production in North America through the development of its innovative Smart Imaging technologies. Our Smart Imaging products and systems combine PPO’s world-class expertise in spectroscopy and data analysis to push the boundaries of what is possible for real-time food product analysis. PPO is rapidly growing to meet these opportunities and we’re looking for talented individuals to join our team.
At PPO we believe it’s important to enjoy and take pride in what we do. We strive to ensure a fun, friendly, and respectful work environment that continually offers new and interesting challenges and opportunities.
About the Position:
The chosen candidate will become a key member of the development team at P&P Optica. The team is responsible for a wide range of activities including design and production of spectrometers, Smart Imaging Systems, and our world-class holographic gel gratings. In this position you will be responsible for aspects of development, assembly, and testing of optical systems within PPO’s Smart Imaging System.
- Contribute to the design of optical systems that meet technical, schedule, cost, and other critical requirements
- Verify optical system performance with benchtop testing through precise alignment
- Define test and qualification requirements based on industry standards
- Design and develop jigs for assembly, alignment, and testing of optical systems
- Automate test procedures to streamline processes
- Evaluate optical components through clear understanding of application and requirements
- Analyze, document, and present experimental results to the rest of the team
- Produce professional grade documentation to support manufacturing, assembly, and testing of products and systems
- Trouble-shoot optical, electrical, and mechanical systems
- Work with external suppliers and fabrication shops to ensure that design and quality standards are met
You are a self-starter and want to work in a fast-paced, growing company with a dynamic and talented team. You are serious about helping customers to be more successful through the use of PPO’s innovative products and solutions. You are results-oriented and care about ensuring that our designs meet high standards of performance and quality. You have a positive attitude, care about doing things right, and are motivated by making a positive impact.
- Strong aptitude for experimental design and data analysis
- Able to leverage analytics software to automate analyses (Python)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with technical documentation experience
- Ability to work effectively as part of a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team
- Industrial Imaging experience
- SolidWorks proficiency
- Proficiency in Zemax optical design software
- Image processing experience
- Spectroscopy experience
- Professional: Demonstrates ethical behavior and business practices, and ensures all behavior aligns with the values of the organization.
- Dynamic: High-level thinker who has the ability to juggle multiple assignments and initiatives.
- Communication Style: Speaks, listens and writes in a clear, thorough manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creative / Innovative: Develops new and unique ways to improve operations and processes.
- Collaborative: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to set objectives, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance the group’s effectiveness.
- Leadership: Positively influences others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the business.
P&P Optica is committed to supporting a culture of diversity across our organization and we simply focus on hiring the best talent. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.