Opto-Mechanical Design Engineer
You’re a creative Opto-mechanical engineer with exceptional design intuition and a methodical approach for defining process. You want to help build a cool new computing form factor that has never existed before. You’ll work with the optics and systems researchers on our Advanced R&D team to solve difficult problems, meet tight deadlines, and build awesome products, as well as assisting with designing for manufacturing. If you have a strong mechanical background combined with an acute eye for detail and you’re excited to be part of a young, cutting-edge technology company, then this job may be for you!
- In the first 3 weeks, understand existing architectures and constraints
- Fully understand the optical and mechanical architecture of North’s next-generation technology
- Understand in detail the design and assembly process of the current-gen technology (currently in manufacturing)
- In the first six weeks, start supporting the optics and systems researchers on the optomechanical design of the next-generation architecture
- Create test fixtures to help evaluate components and custom optical systems
- Perform tolerance and thermal expansion analysis to assist optical team in modeling likely system behaviour over operating environmental range
- Propose and evaluate mounting methods for new components
- Help the team to develop and fine-tune component specifications from vendors
- Within 6 months, be making significant contributions to the next-generation architectures
- Assist with next generation prototype layout for testing
- Evaluate next generation mechanical layouts to fold proposed optical components into available space (SolidWorks modeling)
- Interface with PCB layout team to evaluate and provide guidance for placement of components on next generation circuit cards
- Work with systems designers to create thermal design budgets and space budgets for all components
Bonus points for:
- Worked within the consumer electronics industry (wearables an even bigger bonus)
- Sealing/waterproofing design experience
- Tolerance stack calculations
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design.