Advanced Optics Manufacturing Process Development Lead
- Job Function
- Job Type
- Full time
- Company Size
- Scaling (20-499)
You are an experienced and innovative engineer or scientist with experience in moving complex optical systems to a manufacturing environment. You have a thirst for knowledge with a broad technical background and thrive in a fast-paced high-tech development environment. You excel at taking a high-level goal with no obvious solutions, quickly becoming an expert in the relevant areas of technology, and creating proof-of-concept prototypes as quickly as possible.
What You’ll Do:
Lead a project team to develop consumer smartglass lens technologies and manufacturing processes. This role will work with internal teams and suppliers to source components, complete designs and architectures, and develop qualified mass-production processes.
- Within 30 days, understand all characteristics and requirements of the technology
- Meet with internal teams to understand technology, constraints and current options
- Read papers, textbooks, and documentation
- Attend meetings, talk to team members
- Start establishing relationships with suppliers
- Within 60 days, have several proposed concepts underway internally and/or with suppliers
- Collaborate with other North researchers to develop concepts
- Develop models to explore, evaluate and synthesize the concepts
- Consult with other engineering disciplines to structure and vet the requirements. Check feasibility with manufacturing teams
- Find suppliers, set up relationships with suppliers and fabrication companies to procure, evaluate and fabricate components. Incorporate these components into the models so we know if it’s worthwhile to continue
- Within 4 months, have process designed and deliver fabricated samples for in-house testing
- Design the methodology to characterize and evaluate the new process
- Procure/fabricate all components on a budget, using existing or off-the-shelf parts where possible
- Design experiments to prove or disprove the riskiest aspects of the technology as fast as possible
- Within 8 months, have working prototypes in glasses
- Obtain modified or custom components where needed
- Work with the rest of the supply chain and manufacturing teams to integrate the technology in the supply chain and the factory
- Test as quickly as possible in pilot runs
What You’ll Need:
- 5 years of experience leading multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience integrating external vendors and internal teams to create consumer products
- Engineering/applied science degree in materials science and/or optics
Bonus points for:
- Ophthalmic experience
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design.