Software Engineer - Full-time
Nicoya’s mission is to extend human life by enabling a deeper knowledge of the biological world. We are based in Kitchener, Ontario - Canada's Silicon Valley. Our main product OpenSPR, is a scientific instrument for the biotechnology research and development industry. It provides detailed information on molecular interactions using optical nanosensor technology known as localized surface plasmon resonance. It is the most affordable SPR instrument on the market and will disrupt an industry that has been primarily dominated by highly expensive and complex instrumentation.
About the Job:
We are looking for a passionate and talented software engineer to join our team and help us build amazing products. At Nicoya, we love to work hard and play hard, and we are always working to continuously improve our products. Our team is expanding and we need more talented people to join our mission! We are looking for a driven individual to play a key role in developing our next generation of OpenSPR software.
Who you are:
You love a challenge and you’re a life-long learner. You thrive off of solving technical challenges in the development of new products to meet short and long-term customer goals. You want to provide some of the world’s top researchers with the best technology to help make research simple for them and help them get the data they need to make a difference in the world. You have excellent technical proficiency balanced the understanding that user experience is everything. You love stepping out of your comfort zone while also keeping track of your day-to-day tasks. You want to be a part of a thriving small team and you have great communication and teamwork skills. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on challenging problems. You have a proven track record for setting and meeting aggressive goals. You’re a quick learner and you know when to move on from something when it isn’t working. You are looking to grow your career at an exciting biotech company!
- Development of workflow, layout, style and organization of application user interfaces
- Redesign and improve software UI/UX
- Implementation of complex mathematical algorithms into application software
- Programing, testing and debugging of applications or fixes to existing applications
- Participates in setting the architectural direction for software development projects
- Interacts and coordinates deliverables with other technical groups in the organization
- Performing software reviews and testing protocols
- Recommends improvements to processes, technology, and interfaces that improve the effectiveness of the team
- Adding new features and functionality on an ongoing basis; based on user feedback
- Develop software verification plans and quality assurance procedures
- Hardware driver development and basic hardware knowledge
- Develop hardware communication wrappers
Our Ideal Candidate Has:
- Minimum of 3+ years experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Required capabilities: C/C++, C#, WPF, VB.NET, WinForms
- Experience with GIT and be able to follow best practices such as pull requests and code reviews
- Proficiency in scripting languages such as python, powershell and bash
- Threading, multi tasking
- Knowledge of hardware device drivers
- Embedded software development, including firmware development and communication peripherals
- Ability to document requirements and specifications
If we've described you, we’d love to hear from you! Please apply directly through this portal to the attention of Shawn Fitzpatrick.