System Operations Administrator
System Operations Administrator
Department: Platform Reliability
Reports To: Manager, Platform Reliability
Location: Waterloo Office
NAVBLUE, an Airbus Company, has an opening for a System Operations Administrator. We are looking for a person with a strong background in system administration and development, combining both skills for a complete solution. Key activities for this role will be defining, implementing and managing cloud-based infrastructure.
NAVBLUE is beginning its journey on the DevOPS path and we’re looking for individuals eager to share their experience and assist us in our growth. In this role, you’ll be participating in our transformation from a traditional to DevOPS model, with the ultimate goal of continuous deployment, increased scalability and resiliency.
The successful candidate must be passionate about quality and committed to good processes and best practices. You are self-motivated, enthusiastic about rolling-up your sleeves to do what is needed to get results, thrive on learning, enjoy collaborating with colleagues to help deliver results yet capable of working effectively with minimal direction, and expect that hard work is required to achieve great things. The ability to effectively solve problems and come up with innovative solutions is essential to being successful in this role.
- Define, implement and manage cloud-based infrastructure
- Contribute to strategy and decisions on appropriate automated test tools and frameworks
- Provide technical expertise and counsel to internal clients by acting as a reference on technology, trends and processes related to own area
- Collaborate with team members and other teams to build and create internal tools and APIs for managing our deployment platform
- Identify appropriate use of cloud operational best practices
- Maintain and improve existing deployment tools such as continuous integration
- Convert existing legacy applications to run on new deployment platforms
- Deliver a resilient and highly-scalable platform for application development across the globe, with a strong focus on continuous delivery and operational insight
- Monitor the health, utilization of cloud resources
- Maintain accurate documentation
- Travel to NAVBLUE and customer sites (worldwide) to collaborate with other staff and assist with customer deployments
- 2 to 5 years of experience designing and building secure solutions in AWS (Amazon Web[LM1] Services)
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in systems administration or a combination of software/systems[LM2] experience
- Knowledge of Cloud operations tasks regarding scalability, deployments and zero-downtime upgrades
- Infrastructure Provisioning experience and Continuous Delivery experience using tools like Ansible, Puppet, Chef
- Virtualization and in-depth Linux knowledge, preferably RHEL
- Programing experience with Linux scripting languages such as Perl, Bash, YAML, Python
- Experience in advanced networking, automation and configuration management
- Proactive, confident, self-starter with effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Must work effectively with others in a team environment
- Superior communication skills, written and verbal
- Eagerness to learn, grow, and contribute
- Time management
- Flexible to work extra hours outside of standard business hours, if needed[LM3]
- Able to travel (approximately 10[LM4] %)
Nice to have Skills:
- Familiarity with Agile development methodologies (Scrum and/or Kanban, in particular)
- Containers experience Docker, Kubernetes, Openshift
- Project Management experience
- Experience in aviation industry
- Several years’ experience configuring and installing end customer solutions
- Successful completion of a post-secondary degree or diploma in computer science or technology (or equivalent), or sufficient equivalent work place experience
- AWS Certified SysOps Administrator OR AWS Certified DevOps Engineer
Located in the heart of University of Waterloo’s David Johnston Research + Technology Park, NAVBLUE is close to shops, restaurants, gyms, daycare, and many other amenities, and only 10 minutes away from Hwy 85. The modern design of our suite on the second floor of the Accelerator Centre draws its inspiration from airport terminals, and features bright, open work stations, rather than boxed-in cubicles. As part of our family, you will enjoy:
- Flexible hours
- Free parking
- Strong work-life balance with scarce requirements for overtime or extra hours
- Laid back, friendly environment
- Casual dress code (shorts and jeans welcome!)
- Competitive group benefits plan
- RRSP matching program
- Fitness & Wellness reimbursement
- An active social committee (which usually involves some delicious free food)
- Lunch hour sporting activities (hockey, soccer, volleyball etc.) with a shower on site
- And much more!
Not to mention, the aviation industry’s ongoing digital transformation means we must continually innovate and rise to the many challenges faced by our geographically diverse customers. We are always looking for creative ways to improve our processes and technologies to be a leader in the highly competitive aviation market.
How to Apply:
Candidates who are interested in joining the NAVBLUE team are invited to submit their resume and cover letter, highlighting their work experiences and skills via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for applying. Only selected applicants will be contacted.
NAVBLUE, an Airbus company, welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations will be available on request for candidates throughout the entire recruitment and selection process
NAVBLUE, an Airbus Company, is a leading global provider of flight operations solutions, including aeronautical charts, navigation data solutions, flight planning, aircraft performance software (take-off/landing, weight and balance), and crew planning solutions. These products directly support millions of flights each year and help NAVBLUE customers maximize efficiency, reduce costs, ensure compliance with complex national and international safety regulations, and effectively deliver their services.
Through digital and collaborative innovation, our passionate and customer-focused team develops solutions to enhance the safety and efficiency of air transport. Over the last few years, Airbus has been supportive of various initiatives such as Going Digital, Performance Based Navigation Services, Air Traffic Management Modernization Programs, FlySmart on iOS and other digital projects related to new aircraft technologies; the launch of NAVBLUE was therefore a natural step to further develop its Flight Operations and Air Traffic Management Portfolio.
NAVBLUE is a fully owned subsidiary of Services by Airbus, fueled by the agility of Airbus ProSky and Navtech (acquired in 2016), and the pioneering spirit of Airbus, NAVBLUE was created in July 2016 with one mission: lead aviation into the digital age.
NAVBLUE is based in Hersham (UK), Cardiff (UK), Toulouse (France), Waterloo, ON (Canada), Halifax, NS (Canada), with other offices all around the world.