Research Scientist (Holography)
- Job Function
- Research & Development
- Job Type
- Full time
- Company Size
- Scaling (20-499)
You have a thirst for knowledge with a broad technical background and thrive in a fast-paced high-tech development environment. You excel at taking a high-level goal with no obvious solutions, quickly becoming an expert in the relevant areas of technology, and creating proof-of-concept prototypes as quickly as possible.
What You’ll Do:
- Within 15 days, understand all relevant characteristics and issues of holography.
- Understand optical function and system architecture
- Material and other performance issues
- Recording setup, issues limiting performance in key observables
- Within 45 days, demonstrate scientific understanding of holographic material science and skill and proficiency in the recording and characterization of holographic optical elements (HOEs) sufficient to meet current project requirements.
- Design, build and validate an experiment capable of enhancing the performance of an HOE
- Work with the holography team to document the range of experimental conditions, as well as any other variables that may determine the performance of enhanced holograms.
- Work collaboratively with the holography team to develop and/or implement tools to characterize holograms made in the laboratory using the best quantitative and qualitative techniques to ensure that requirements are met.
- Get training from suppliers and partners, continual learning about holography
- Within 90 days, demonstrate skill and proficiency in the manipulation of holographic photopolymer material sufficient to meet current and anticipated project requirements.
- Design, build and fully test a suite of experiments for testing the materials properties of holograms using state-of-the-art equipment and principles of material science.
- Identify and mitigate any performance-limiting issues in holographic films
- Stay abreast of the scientific research in areas relevant to holography, HOE production, and holographic recording media.
- Suggest new and potentially novel experiments on holographic films that support anticipated project objectives.
- Within 180 days, develop through continuous learning and practice a superior level of knowledge and and skill in holographic films and practical holography , with the goal of achieving recognition as one of the company’s in-house subject matter experts.
- Actively participate in research to uncover and mitigate relevant mechanisms of action that may limit or inhibit the optical performance of holographic films in current or future North products
- Work with other internal teams and external suppliers to solve technical challenges that arise in the development and modification of holographic films and their applications in holography
What You’ll Need
- Extensive experience operating, repairing, and aligning lasers and laser optics
- Proficiency with a broad range of laser laboratory tools and techniques
- Attention to detail, meticulous record keeper a must
- Demonstrated track record of solving tough problems with lasers
- Applicants with practical hologram recording experience preferred, however outstanding candidates with different educational backgrounds, are encouraged to apply
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design