- Job Function
- Research & Development
- Job Type
- Full time
- Company Size
- Scaling (20-499)
You have a thirst for knowledge with a broad technical background and thrive in a fast-paced high-tech development environment. You excel at taking a high-level goal with no obvious solutions, quickly becoming an expert in the relevant areas of technology, and creating proof-of-concept prototypes as quickly as possible.
What You’ll Do:
You'll increase bandwidth in the creation of experimental apparatus, test jigs and bench-top prototypes within the Advanced R&D group to support the investigation and demonstration of technologies of interest. You will craft, assemble and debug and operate experiments in a lab environment. You'll also install, maintain and organize infrastructure and equipment within the Advanced R&D lab.
- Within 15 days, understand the lab equipment, components and research objectives for the projects assigned and all applicable safeguards
- Read documentation, attend meetings, talk to team members
- Complete required training
- Within 30 days, able to work independently on assigned tasks in the lab, including
- Setup experimental apparatus
- Operate experiments to collect data
- Handle, package and test electro-optic devices such as die on submount laser devices as part of qualification testing
- Install, maintain and organize infrastructure and equipment within the R&D lab, including large lab equipment like optical tables
- Constructing and operating laboratory setups for experiments including, high speed measurements and laser based measurements, characterizing displays and other advanced optical components
What You’ll Need:
- Hands-on skills working with tools, materials, lab equipment, opto-mechanical and electronic assemblies and semiconductor devices
- At least an engineering technology diploma or bachelor’s degree related to physical science, electronics or electro-optics
Bonus points for:
- Experience working in industry in a similar role
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design.