Software Engineer, Imaging/Video Systems Design
You're a creative developer with experience designing real-time image processing solutions for applications like VR devices, large scale video walls or immersive projector systems. You’re the type of person who says things like “it’s just math, that’s the easy part” when talking about a solution to the problem. You get excited when you find ways to make it run faster or improve the overall performance with a creative, elegant solution. Words like frame rate, raster size, pixel clock, gamma are just part of your everyday dialog.
What You'll Do:
- Collaborate with cross functional design teams to deliver state of the art video solutions
- Work from first principles to develop new calibration solutions for both prototyping purposes and mass production
- Take existing solutions we’ve already developed, gain in depth understanding of them and come up with new techniques to improve their performance
- Within 30 days you will:
- Take ownership of a feature or research task in the project; designing a solution and presenting it to your team members for peer review
- Contribute to cross functional design discussions about some of the larger technical problems the project team is trying to solve
- Beyond 30 days you will:
- Work with other team members to come up with ideas/solutions to push your team to raise the bar
- Actively participate in design reviews offer constructive feedback or new ideas to be considered
- Present your ideas to the larger community to share the creative work your team is doing
What You Need:
- Experience building software solutions for low-latency, high-frame rate video systems
- Experience with common video solutions such as warping or color calibration
- Experience with high speed video solutions with off-the-shelf cameras and custom electronics
- Strong C++ skills (we’re using C++14)
- Experience interfacing with custom electronics (FPGA or ASIC)
- Track record of delivering high-quality software in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary environment
- Degree in computer science, engineering, or equivalent (in lieu of degree, minimum four years of relevant work experience)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Bonus Points For:
- Understanding of optical design and optical simulation techniques
- Experience with FPGA or ASIC design
- Experience with Python, or other high-level scripting languages
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design.