You are curious and question the status quo. You bring a different perspective and are eager to share it. You have a keen interest in the future of technology and would rather help create it than wait for it. You are culturally aware and can connect trends into wants and needs. You always put the user first and design simple, intuitive and beautiful products and experiences. You aren’t afraid to make mistakes and learn from them. You enjoy collaborating with others on complex problems and thrive in a fast-paced environment. Every challenge is an opportunity.
- Within 15 days, immerse yourself in the brand and existing product:
- Read up on brand values and guidelines. Familiarize yourself with the company culture
- Familiarize yourself with the PRD and project status
- Meet with cross-discipline stakeholders to understand the product function, construction and design intent
- Within 30 days, participate in current projects and provide feedback:
- Involved in current projects and meetings, providing ideas and collaborating with other disciplines
- Create CAD models and 3D renders when necessary for prototyping and concept iteration
- Participate in user testing planning and execution
- Within 60 days, responsible for assigned projects:
- Lead assigned projects and create thorough documentation to get manager and cross-discipline buy-in
- Collaborate with other disciplines independently to drive project completion
- Take the initiative to offer solutions to existing issues, as well as identify new ones that will improve the product form and function
What You’ll Need:
- BA/BS degree in Industrial Design or equivalent practical experience
- Stellar portfolio with experience in the entire product development cycle - from brief to sketch to production
- Must have experience designing consumer electronics
- Ability to create relevant CMF iterations based on consumer and industry trends
- Strong core design skills (proportions, colour, form, typography, presentation) and a sense of design & visual culture (graphics, functionality, fashion, ergonomics, cultural & technological trends, history)
- Excellent in visualizing concepts using industry standard 2D and 3D tools such as Photoshop/Illustrator, Solidworks, Sketchbook, and Keyshot
- Excellent written, listening and oral communication skills
Bonus points for:
- Strong understanding of mechanical design, manufacturing and engineering requirements and constraints.
- Good foundation on UX (physical and digital)
- Knowledge and experience in user research methodologies
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design.