You have a thirst for knowledge with a broad technical background and thrive in a fast-paced high-tech development environment. You excel at taking a high-level goal with no obvious solutions, quickly becoming an expert in the relevant areas of technology, and creating proof-of-concept prototypes as quickly as possible.
What You’ll Do:
- Within 15 days, become familiar with all practical issues related to the fabrication of holographic optical elements (HOE) at North
- Optical function of HOEs and system architecture
- Lasers, materials, dosage, and other performance issues
- Recording setup, issues affecting variability in key observables
- Within 45 days,demonstrate proficiency in recording of HOEs
- Work collaboratively with the holography team to develop and implement tools to characterize holograms made in the laboratory using the best quantitative and qualitative techniques to ensure that requirements are met
- Become familiar with the challenges of integrating HOE’s into the display architecture
- Explore various diffractive methods for display architectures, with a focus on material deposition and metrology
- Within 90 days,
- Develop next generation characterization techniques in support of holographic display architectures
- Demonstrate knowledge of material science relevant to the integration of HOE’s for display architectures
- Stay abreast of the scientific research in relevant areas of diffractive optics
- Demonstrate proficiency in spin coating
What You’ll Need:
- Strong Materials Science background
- Proficiency with a broad range of laboratory tools and techniques
- Attention to detail, meticulous record keeper a must
- Demonstrated track record of solving tough technical challenges
- PhD in Engineering preferred, however outstanding candidates with different educational backgrounds are encouraged to apply
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design.