Associate Data Engineer
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference and a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
We are looking for an entry level Data Engineer who is looking to design, build, and integrate data as well as work with newer data technologies to build and share new patterns and best practices. You should have professional or academic experience developing integrations (batch or streaming) for data ingestion, data mapping, reporting and data processing capabilities using Open Source Hadoop DataFlow tools such as Kafka, NiFi, Spark. You are passionate about data streaming, microservice architectures, and software engineering and are looking to grow your career in data with an industry leader.
What you will be doing:
- You will be a key part of the Canadian Division Data Office Data Engineering team.
- You will assist in designing and developing the dataflows that are based on microservices architecture and guide the team to build ‘fit for purpose’ solutions to leverage the various data supply tools.
- You will help the team to determine Capacity/Performance needs based on data flow/solution.
- You will be part and Drive POTs for new technologies.
- You will understand and support the design of the security model on the solution provided.
- You will align solutions and strategies with the Global strategies and Enterprise Data Lake solutions and services
- You will play a part on the on-call rotation providing after hours support. Position will include participation in weekend on call support rotation approximately once every 4-5 weeks.
We think you would be a great fit if:
- You love the challenge of building something new and experience in data architecture principles.
- You understand technical capabilities and data movement technologies and can translate that thinking to practical steps to get us there
- You have knowledge in Data Movement technologies, including Apache data movement tools such as NiFi / Kafka / Spark / Python
- You have some experience transforming / curating data in the Big Data space and building reporting tools with the data
- You understand microservices architectures, and distributed transactions to design dataflows
- You have some experience with the software engineering stack (such as PCF, Spring Boot, Node js)
- You love to learn
We need you to have a number of these:
- You have at least 1-2 years of relevant work experience in a data related role or you have academic training or education in technology.
- You have some degree of familiarity with the data management landscape and have exposure to ETL and similar data integration tools (such as ingestion, curation, reporting tools)
- You are service oriented, execution focus, and collaborative.
- You can be agile and proactive, you like having your hands on the keyboard
- You have successfully worked and collaborated with vendor partners
- You love learning and champion change
- You are fun to be around and WOW, can we count on you.
What about Perks?
Manulife has lots of perks including, but not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Retirement Savings Accounts including a RPP (Pension Plan), RRSP (Retirement Savings Plan), and TFSA (Tax Free Savings account)
- Manulife Share Ownership Program with employer matching
- Customizable Benefits Package including Health, Dental, Vision, and 100% of Mental Health expenses
- Financial support for ongoing training, learning, and education
- Monthly Innovation Days (Hackathons)
- Wearing jeans to work every day
- An abundance of career paths and opportunities to advance
- A flexible work environment with flex hours, work from home arrangements, distributed teams, and condensed work week arrangements.
This is a full time permanent role located in Waterloo, Ontario.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2017, we had approximately 34,000 employees, 73,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 26 million customers. As of December 31, 2017, we had over $1.04 trillion (US$829.4 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $26.7 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong