About The Role:
We are looking for an innovative FPGA Developer to join our R&D team in the development of embedded systems for integration into medical devices and AR/VR systems. As an FPGA Developer, you will work closely with the development team to implement proprietary processing algorithms related to high speed image and signal processing into FPGAs as used within NDI’s advanced 3D measurement and motion tracking systems. Specifically, we are seeking someone with strong analytical skills for processing and analyzing real-time data on embedded systems (FPGA). This role requires someone who is passionate about pursuing new ideas, is strong at solving problems and has a willingness to challenge the status quo to create remarkable solutions. The successful candidate will be highly organized, results-driven and effective at implementing intricate ideas and concepts.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Responsible to complete the FPGA development cycle from the development of the FPGA architecture, Verilog or VHDL code entry through to the on-chip debug of the implemented design. Since many of NDI’s FPGAs are SOCs a working knowledge or being able to program ARM based processors would be an asset to enhance the development cycle.
- Actively participate in discussions that drive product level design decisions with the Advanced Research and project development teams. Explore opportunities to optimize product metrics and enhance system level performance.
- Prepare material and participate in FPGA peer reviews
- Successfully integrate the FPGA architecture and design within the target hardware and ensure optimal firmware operation
- Low level C/C++ embedded programming targeting ARM as used in Xilinx or Altera SOCs as required to ensure the FPGA meets the design requirements.
- Ensure completion is timely, striving to meet or exceed project milestones
NDI is committed to achieving excellence in our Quality activities, which is dependent upon the processes, practices and employees of NDI. Our objective is to maintain a Quality Management System in compliance with ISO 9001, ISO 13485, the US FDA Quality System Regulation as well as any additional regulatory requirements of the markets in which our products are sold. Employees of NDI are instrumental to our compliance efforts, and are required to understand and comply with the QMS.
The FPGA Developer is accountable for delivering quality artifacts, which are designed, documented, developed and tested to meet NDI design control requirements.
What You Bring To The Role:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent
- 7+ years of recent hands-on experience design and coding
- Driven to understand the big picture and able to take on new and diverse tasks
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Good personal organization, good general communication skills, ability to communicate knowledge well both in writing and orally
Desired Characteristics/Additional Assets:
- In-depth understanding of FPGA architectures and optimizing performance
- Experience with CMOS image sensors and image processing pipelines.
- Working knowledge of hardware communication protocols including DDR, I2S, SPI and synchronous multi-channel LVDS data streams as found in high speed image sensors.
- Strong mathematics background
- Experience implementing High Level Synthesis (HLS) within designs is an asset
- Programming ARM or other microprocessors using bare metal FW or Linux operating systems