Sr. Systems Database Engineer - Microsoft SQL Server
The Sr. Systems Database Engineer role within the Data Centre Operations Server team is to be responsible for the design, deployment and management of infrastructure related to SQL for MCAP. This includes the planning, management and monitoring of the SQL infrastructure along with continual investigation related to performance and upgrades. The role is also responsible for the maintenance, monitoring, technical design and upgrading of the MSSQL, MongoDB and MySQL environments. As a Systems Engineer, you are also to act as a mentor to the junior staff to help develop their skills.
Areas of technology exposure must include Microsoft SQL Server and the following technologies would be beneficial MongoDB, MySQL, IBMi DB2, VMware Server / Application Virtualization Technologies, Microsoft Servers Infrastructure, Storage Areas Networks and Veeam Backup & Replication.
Strategy and Planning
- Ensure that proposed and existing database architectures are aligned with organizational goals and objectives.
- Provide database technology consulting expertise, direction, and assistance to systems analysts, developers, and engineers.
- Conduct research on emerging technologies in support of systems development efforts, and recommend technologies that will increase cost effectiveness and systems flexibility.
- Plans and implements after-hours changes to meet business and operational needs.
- Supports the adoption and continued use of architectural standards
- Collaborates and contributes on opportunities for continuous improvement
- Familiar with architectural patterns that contribute to the production of secure, reliable, manageable, and high-performance solutions
Acquisition & Deployment
- Liaise with stakeholders and team members on solution requirements
- Research and make recommendations on solution candidates in support of stakeholder needs
- Perform detailed technical design of proposed solutions
- Manage the construction and implementation of new or existing solutions
- Evaluates relevant risks and determines mitigation strategies
- Perform architectural modelling to assist in determining solution efficacy
- Effectively present / communicate models to the business, IT and the project teams.
- Participate and support in the construction of solutions including relevant testing and supporting documentation
- Familiar with automation processes and tools to drive operational efficiency
- Act as a leader and advocate of database infrastructure processes, including coaching, training, and career development to staff.
- Support, embrace, and contribute to continuous improvement activities
- Provide ongoing support of the product/solution
- Leads the recommendation of solutions by defining database physical structure and functional capabilities, database security, data back-up, and recovery specifications.
- Assist with the development, documentation, communication, and enforcement of a policy for standardizing database software configuration and usage as necessary.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of company’s existing database architecture and related technology portfolio.
- Identify inefficiencies and gaps in current database technology portfolio and recommend solutions.
- Evaluate new database technologies for fit in current architecture
- Identify and develop opportunities for upgrades, migration, or retirement.
Knowledge & Experience
- A minimum of 6-9 years’ experience planning, designing, configuring and supporting large enterprise databases in a virtualized and shared storage (SAN) environment.
- Extensive experience acting as technical lead in the deployment and administration of mission critical database servers and Microsoft SQL services in a 24/7 production environment.
- Demonstrated senior level knowledge of current and legacy Microsoft SQL versions and related core components (SSRS, SSIS, SSAS, native SQL Backups, Always-on Availability Groups).
- Demonstrated senior level of knowledge security, performance tuning, data storage techniques, achieving high availability, and optimization of Microsoft SQL services in a shared storage virtual environment.
- Experience with large scale storage and backup solutions; specifically, Veeam Backup technologies encompassing Microsoft SQL services.
- Strong understanding of information processing principles and practices.
- Experience developing and documenting architectural patterns.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and deployment of automation technologies
- Demonstrated senior level of knowledge of 2008/2012/2016 Windows enterprise server platforms.
- Familiar with IBMi DB2 and MySQL database management requirements considered an asset.
- Experience with NoSQL storage solution security, deployment, performance tuning, optimizations and maintenance considered an asset.
- Experience with Incident, Change and Problem Management procedures – preferably in an ITIL driven environment.
- Knowledge of the residential, commercial mortgage business and/or securitization considered an asset.
- Effective business analysis skills to identify and draw out key facts and develop proficient business knowledge to form the basis for solutions.
- Proven ability to coach, mentor and train staff
- Ability to conduct research into data trends, issues, standards, and products as required.
- Strong written and oral communication in English is a must. Strong presentation skills are considered an asset.
- Strong and proven troubleshooting ability in a large scale, fast paced operations environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage time to support multiple high priority objectives simultaneously.
- Ability to make timely and sound decisions under conditions of uncertainty and / or stress.
- Ability to design solutions and develop plans that are appropriately comprehensive, realistic, and effective in meeting the stated goals.
- Ability to manage expectations, keeping all stakeholders informed about projects and/or incidents.
- Ability to adjust plans to respond to changing business priorities.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team sharing ideas and gaining consensus on a proper solution.
- Effective and personable communication with team members and vendors to achieve desired results.
- Ability and desire to mentor teammates on areas of expertise, helping to raise the collective knowledge of the team.
- Desire and drive to attain results and closure of issues despite obstacles and opposition.
Formal Education & Certifications/Designations Required
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, computer engineering, system analysis, or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Microsoft MCSE / demonstrated work experience
- ITIL Foundation Certification / demonstrated work experience