- Job Function
- Job Type
- Full time
- Company Size
- Scaling (20-499)
Position: Mechanical Designer
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Experience: 3+ years
Education: Certificate or higher with relevant experience
Division: OTTO Motors
Clearpath provides self-driving vehicle technology and services to over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands. Proprietary hardware, software, and services are delivered through the company’s research and industrial divisions: Clearpath Robotics and OTTO Motors.
We employ a diverse and highly talented team who live and breathe robotics. We believe that work must have a high “cool” factor and every day should bring new knowledge. We need more passionate people on our team who are willing and able to push the boundaries of robotics into focused and practical applications.
Clearpath is automating the world and we need your help. Got what it takes?
About the Job:
We are looking for a qualified mechanical designer with 3+ years of experience in mechanical and mechatronic systems to help us develop our self-driving vehicles. As a successful applicant you must show experience in mechanical and mechatronic design.
You must be a self-starter and able to work within loose requirements and define your steps and the technical requirements for your components yourself. You have a proven your problem-solving skills and have successful projects as examples.
An understanding of electrical and electronic systems is required as the role entails integrating, modelling and drawing sensors, motors, wiring harnesses and connectors in a mobile robot. Experience with vehicles, industrial automation or robotics is a plus.
- Collect and interpret requirements.
- Evaluate and select the optimum solutions.
- Design and integrate the final solution candidate.
- Create and maintain 3D models and drawings (Solidworks)
- Document your work in PDM and PLM systems
- Create 2D wiring harness drawings based on the definitions from the electrical team.
- Work closely with suppliers and colleagues in developing the optimum system based on a loose set of constraints.
- Suggest test and validation programs based upon your designs and the requirements.
- Get your hands dirty occasionally and work with your designs.
- Collect feedback from production, suppliers, services and the customers and act on it.
You want to work for a fast-moving company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You want to be surrounded by people like you: creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on challenging and rewarding problems. If you see something broken - you fix it.
- A tertiary degree in mechanical or mechatronics engineering or similar
- At least three years of relevant industry experience
- A working understanding of electrical and electronic systems including basic circuit analysis.
- Excellent skills in a modern, parametric 3D CAD program (Solidworks preferred).
- Demonstrated design experience.
Bonus points for:
- Knowledge of NFPA 70 and NFPA 79
- Knowledge of IEC 60204-1
- Knowledge of IPC-620
- Familiar with wire sizing and connector selection
- Understanding of component derating in electrical systems
- Familiar with electro-mechanical components and their requirements in electrical systems
- Experience with wiring harness design with E-CAD, preferably Mentor Graphics Vesys
- Expert at wire routing in M-CAD, preferably Solid-Works
- Understanding of EMI and electrical shielding
- Having built a robot before
- Programming knowledge
- Experience in designing for manufacturing
Clearpath is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sex, veteran status or sexual orientation. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.