SafeToNet recently launched the world’s first real-time sext filtering software that safeguards children across all social networks and messaging apps. It can identify and filter inappropriate images and text and has built an intelligent keyboard that works on both iOS and Android. SafeToNet has aspirations to safeguard children from around the world and is working with a high number of mobile network operators who will sell or give the software away for free to their clients. SafeToNet is one of just 5 companies in the world to be part of the Go-Ignite accelerator programme which is a consortium of Orange, Singtel, Deutsche Telecom and Telefonica. They give access to over 1.2bn customers. The board and executive team is highly experienced and the company is well funded, with substantial support from London’s investor community (see https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/26/safetonet-demos-anti-sexting-child-safety-tool/ ).
SafeToNet is expanding, with a new office in Waterloo for our Canadian subsidiary, SafeToNet Canada (previously VISR Inc.). Together with the University of Ottawa’s Natural Language Processing Lab, SafeToNet Canada is focused on developing the machine learning and natural language processing capabilities necessary for identifying complex child-safety and wellness issues in user generated digital communication data. Our Waterloo office is tasked with working together with our research partners to perform R&D and to productionize the resulting tech.
Social media generates a massive volume of data about online interactions on a daily basis. Such interactions provide useful information about users’ behaviours and psychological states. SafeToNet has an AI-based engine that constantly analyzes the patterns behind human written languages and produces psychological insights about user’s emotional and mental health. Our emerging technologies are used to promote the safety and welfare of children.
We are seeking an intermediate to senior DevOps Engineer to help us create the next generation of SafeToNet technology.
The ideal candidate should have a passion for quality, attention to detail, and continuous learning. Join an interdisciplinary team of PhD-level researchers and software developers at SafeToNet!
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work with a multidisciplinary team.
- Understands technology deeply at both the server level and at the development level, understands where the gaps often are between these two, and is excited about filling those gaps and taking proactive steps to prevent web application emergencies from ever happening.
- Manages service delivery and website/systems reliability and scalability including: reporting, configuration and build, testing, planning, and deployment of solutions and will be accountable for all aspects of deployment and technical operations including technical project resources (partners/subcontractors or staff), scheduling, risk management, internal and external communications, status reporting, and resource management (internal and partners), reporting to the Director, Research and Development
- Develop automation and build scripts. This includes writing scripts that can help decrease the gap between development and production; i.e. detect potential issues that may cause different behaviour on a production build than development environment.
- Evaluates technological choices (network/hardware related and technology/code related) by querying providers and providing evaluations of each solution include ROI evaluations in the present and future implications, limitations, and opportunities
- Assists with operational aspect of production and development servers including developing, training in, and validating compliance with procedures and checklists related to disk space usage, monitoring solutions, deployment, conventions, access to the production and development sources, source control access and usage, performance monitoring, code modifications validation, scheduling, and more
- Understand, configure, and resolve conflicts across system dependencies.
- Build, deploy, and scale applications on AWS and Azure.
- Write scripts that can help ease the development process. Examples include writing scripts that can make developers aware of possible regression issues before committing new changes or prevent such changes if they will cause regressions.
- Collaborate with the different team members to ensure data delivery, consistency, integrity, security, and infrastructure maintenance. This includes identifying and fixing build issues, automating build and test scripts, and report regressions accordingly.
- Test, install, and issue patches in conjunction with software providers and vendors or other third parties.
- Develop systems to efficiently execute complex hierarchies tailored to individual users in a consumer-facing application.
- Develop and oversee CI integration for team members and provide maximal integration with product CI integration processes.
- Build docker images.
- Use and maintain tools that can automate system health checks. This also includes reporting recent changes that may have caused any system health degradation.
- Implement disaster recovery plans as well as security policies.
- Undergraduate degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent.
- 5+ years of industry experience in cloud-based deployment on a large scale.
- High proficiency in writing scripts using Java, Python, Gradle, Groovy, and Bash, kubernetes and Kotlin.
- High proficiency in Windows and Linux systems in public clouds such as AWS and Azure.
- High proficiency in AWS cloud services, Jenkins CI, Travis CI, and RabbitMQ (any other additional knowledge of asynchronous communication systems is an asset).
- High Proficiency in Docker containers, as well as orchestration platforms such as ECS, and RDS.
- High Proficiency in source control tools such as GIT. Bitbucket and/or Github experience is an asset.
- Proficiency in both SQL and NoSQL databases, in particular DynamoDB and ElasticSearch.
Why Work Here?
- Make a difference to the safety of our youth in an increasingly challenging digital age
- Flexible work hours
- Competitive wages
- Health and wellness programs
- Strong work-life balance
- Collaborative work environment with many talented individuals
- Centrally located in downtown Kitchener
- Close to local restaurants
- Easily accessible by public transit
How to Apply:
Candidates who are interested in applying are invited to submit their resume and cover letter, highlighting their work experiences and skills via email to Careers-Canada@safetonet.com.
We thank all applicants for applying. Only selected applicants will be contacted.
SafeToNet welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations will be available on request for candidates throughout the entire recruitment and selection process.