- Validus Research Inc.
- Job Function
- Software Development
- Job Type
- Full time
- Company Size
- Scaling (20-499)
Formed in 2008, AlphaCat is an asset manager that helps investors take full advantage of Insurance Linked Securities. AlphaCat is now part of AIG, a global insurance company with operations in more than 80 countries and jurisdictions, providing a range of insurance products, including: general property/casualty and life insurance to retirement and financial services.
Leveraging on the underwriting and investment expertise within the organization, we invest in private reinsurance transactions, as well as catastrophe bonds, a common type of Insurance Linked Securities issued by insurance and reinsurance companies. We help investors take full advantage of this uncorrelated asset class, accessing the market via AlphaCat Reinsurance Ltd., a Bermuda-based provider of fully collateralized property catastrophe reinsurance retrocession capacity.
This role is a permanent, full time position located in Waterloo, Ontario.
The Automation Specialist will collaborate with other AlphaCat analysts to build tools to enable automation in AlphaCat portfolio management and reporting process.
- Develop software tools to analyze potential investments and portfolio holdings
- Design, rapidly prototype, then implement scalable, reliable, and maintainable software solutions to help portfolio manager and analysts at AlphaCat make data driven decisions
- Interface closely with stakeholders to deliver products, clarify objectives, determine scope, drive consensus, identify problems, and recommend solutions
- Complete bespoke analyses of investment portfolios or the reinsurance market
- Support end users on an ad hoc basis with development and database needs and be a subject matter expert on the functional side of the business
- Think creatively to come up with new ideas to create efficiencies which save time and money for AlphaCat
- Other duties as required
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Undergraduate and/or graduate degree in quantitative discipline and/or computer science
- Preference given to
- Programing experience in technical computing languages such as VBA, R, MatLab, Python, Java, or C/C++
- Experience with SQL and Relational Database Design
- Deep understanding of Object Oriented Design
- Ability to work under pressure alone and within a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; i.e., a thorough command of the English language including excellent spelling, grammar and punctuation
- The ability to deal effectively and courteously with investors and colleagues, and to exercise discretion and confidentiality in all matters
- Must be able to work outside of normal office hours including evenings, weekends and public holidays if necessary
- Compensation will be highly competitive based on experience, qualifications, inclusive of annual performance bonus, pension, and group insurance
- Full-time, permanent salaried position located in Waterloo, Ontario, subject to a probationary period
- Standard office hours are Monday – Friday, 9:00 – 5:00, with work outside of standard office hours as dictated by business needs
- Working environment – convenient UpTown Waterloo location in Bauer Buildings (along bus routes and near new light rail – currently under construction), open office with high ceiling, colourful walls, exposed brick and large windows
We thank all applicants for their interest in this role; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
AlphaCat is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer and we encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants' needs under the respective provincial human rights codes throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise Human Resources to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.