LifeWorks has started the journey towards going serverless, primarily using the AWS stack. We’re already using AWS services including Lambda, API Gateway, DynamoDB, SNS and CloudWatch, and the list continues to grow!
As a serverless engineer at LifeWorks, you will be writing Node.js code within a cross-functional team, delivering the highly available, elastically scalable APIs that power our iOS, Android, and responsive Web apps. You will also be building the event-driven backend processes that make our business tick.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity for an experienced backend engineer to help design and build cutting edge, greenfield solutions to some genuinely interesting business problems. The quality of your backend experience is far more important to us than the technologies you have used in the past; we recognise that smart people can learn a new language or pick up a new technology relatively quickly.
- Business-focussed, with a proven track record of delivering software that adds value.
- Delivery-focussed; enjoys getting stuff done and regularly shipping high quality software.
- Passionate about technology and would relish the opportunity to acquire some new skills.
- Relishes working within a team and collaborating with other teams.
Required Skills and Experience
- Designing and building services within an event-driven SOA / microservices architecture.
- Expertise in at least one backend language e.g. C#, Java or PHP.
- Building systems that are highly available and can scale.
- Writing clean, SOLID, maintainable code.
- Practicing TDD / BDD.
- Building RESTful APIs.
- Working with both relational and document databases.
- Monitoring, optimising and improving software that is already live.
- Writing clear, concise documentation.
- Working with product owners and domain experts to understand requirements.
- Strong communication skills.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- AWS experience, especially services like Lambda, API Gateway and DynamoDB.
- Serverless Framework.
- Building backends for mobile apps.
- Working within a cross-functional team in an agile environment.
- Computer Science degree.
- 3+ years relevant industry experience.
Package / Benefits
- Competitive Salary
- 24 days paid holiday per year (+ your birthday)
- Group Pension Plan, Income Protection and Life Insurance
- Private Medical Insurance / Cash Plan
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle-to-work scheme (leasing system for bikes)
- Gym and massage reimbursement
- Access to online offers as well as our external Employee Assistance Program
- Croissant Fridays, fresh fruit and breakfasts
- Ping Pong (if that’s your thing)
***Please note this position is located in London (UK)***