Because a changing industry calls for a new way of doing things. An ambitious, innovative and fast-paced company, we offer exceptional training and development programs, competitive pay, great benefits, a company-matched savings plan, and paid volunteer days — all within an engaging, fun, and collaborative work environment.
Founded more than 145 years ago, Economical is one of Canada’s leading property and casualty insurance companies. We rely on our national network of more than 800 independent brokers to sell a range of car, home, business, and farm insurance solutions. With Sonnet and Petline, we’re extending our reach through the direct-to-customer channel. With more than 2,400 active employees across the country and a commitment to rethinking the insurance experience, we’re poised for great things.
We’re now adding to our high-performance team to take us into the future. Let’s rethink insurance, together.
** This position is available to candidates in Kitchener or Toronto **
In this role, you will:
- Be accountable for long-term oversight, technology governance, operations, planning and continuous improvement of the Big Data and CDW platforms.
- Create, develop and deliver the Big Data platform roadmap.
- Be responsible for planning, developing and governing the overall Big Data environment, working with strategic partners to produce performance and capacity metrics to enable timely and accurate management decisions.
- Partner with the Resource Management team to ensure the appropriate skilled resources are assigned to the required initiatives.
- Be a key contributor on the TS Leadership Team and play a crucial role in the continued execution and outcomes for the Data and Analytic Services function at Economical
- Active member of the Technology Solutions Leadership team, working to define and execute on strategy for business value and team growth.
- Develop, coach and manage the performance of all direct reports, ensuring achievement of business, functional and individual goals.
- Create, promote and support a team environment that encourages productivity, collaboration, diversity, teamwork, and a high level of professionalism.
- Support execution of the strategic plan by defining specific goals and objectives for team members of the Data and Analytic Services function.
- Actively manage and monitor progress against the plan, adjusting priorities as required, and regularly communicating progress to key stakeholders.
- Assess, understand, and validate industry trends and best practices for the Data and Analytic Services function, and influence the technology strategy to deliver expected results.
- Manage execution of the back-up and Disaster Recovery (DR) functions for the Data and Analytic Services function, both in simulation and during triggered DR events.
- Promote continuous improvement within the team for all project and operational accountabilities.
- Create and manage the functional budget, and report on actual costs and forecast regularly through the fiscal year.
- Partner with business teams to deliver on portfolio projects.
- Support prioritization of business initiatives to maximize technology investments in alignment with key business drivers.
- Actively manage relationships with outside service providers.
Your Skills and Experience
- 5+ years of experience with the Hadoop ecosystem (Cloudera, HBase, Hive, map reduce, Pentaho, Kafka, SPARK)
- 10+ years of experience in IT
- 5+ years of people leadership experience
- Experience in insurance or banking industry
- Expert in Data Science including: Algorithms to solve problems, Data Modeling, SQL Query Processing and Transactions
- Experience in Agile delivery and Agile POD structures
- Expert understanding of software development cycle from design and architecture to production
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to build and maintain effective relationships with business partners, vendors and Technology Solutions teams to achieve results
- Ability to multi-task and effectively manage competing priorities and timelines
- Experience leading a change management agenda, with proven ability to influence at multiple levels of the organization
- Demonstrated outcomes delivering on Data and Analytic Services priorities
- Leadership experience in a regulated public corporate environment is an asset
- Mergers, acquisitions or divestiture experience is preferred
At Economical, we all work together to come up with big ideas — then bring them to life. We focus on our customers first, we bring our best, and we’re stronger together. If you’ve got the passion and the desire to help us reinvent insurance, let’s talk.