You have a thirst for knowledge with a broad technical background and thrive in a fast-paced high-tech development environment. You excel at taking a high-level goal with no obvious solutions, quickly becoming an expert in the relevant areas of technology, and creating proof-of-concept prototypes as quickly as possible. You have a strong background in complex optical systems at both the system and component level.
What You’ll Do:
This job involves hands-on research, concept development, modelling, synthesis, prototyping and evaluation of advanced optical components or subsystems for use in next generation display systems.
- Within 2 weeks
- Understand desired optical system performance requirements
- Familiarize yourself with internal electro-optical modelling framework and codebase
- Assist in testing current advanced optical components
- Within 8 weeks
- Own parts of the electro-optical modelling codebase
- Have an electro-optical framework setup to model the new components
- Collaborate with other multidisciplinary researchers to develop novel concepts and iterate on component design
- Develop models to explore, evaluate and synthesize the concepts
- Consult with electrical, mechanical and optics teams to structure and vet the requirements. Check feasibility with manufacturing teams
- Within 4 months, design and fabricate prototype advanced optics for use in the existing or future display architectures
- Design the benchtop setup to characterize the new components
- Design the experiment to prove or disprove the novel aspects of the technology
- Within 7 months, have working prototypes in glasses or other real-world prototypes
- Get modified or custom components where needed
- Work with the rest of the product teams to integrate the technology in the latest prototypes
- Test as quickly as possible in real-world usage on a wide variety of people
What You’ll Need:
- Skills, research or experience in the following are relevant and useful in this role.
- Experience with electromagnetic modelling of nanoscale structures, optical films, holographic elements or diffractive optics
- Experience modelling optical systems with complex sub-components (Zemax, Code V preferred)
- Experience with python for data analysis, test automation, and optical design
- Experience with modelling of diffractive optics. Knowledge of software or custom code to calculate scattering properties (RCWA, FEA, FDTD)
- Experience with imaging optics or experience with depth sensing
Bonus Point for:
- Knowledge of Zemax (scripting, DLL generation)
- Experience with fabrication of miniature optical subcomponents with glass or plastic
- Plastic molded optics design, preferably with free form experience
- Experience with design and manufacture of novel diffractive sub-components
- Experience with large area diffractive optics in the visible, UV and x-ray regimes
- Experience with novel optical coating design
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design.
More search results
After-Hours Support Representative (Casual/Contra…
Product Prototyper (Coop / Intern)
Engineer (Chemical, Environmental or Biochemical)
W&Y Environmental International Inc.
Oculys Health Informatics
Incident Management Centre Representative
Descartes Systems Group