Advanced Optics Manufacturing Process Engineer
You are an experienced and innovative engineer or scientist with experience in moving complex optical systems to a manufacturing environment. You have a thirst for knowledge with a broad technical background and thrive in a fast-paced high-tech development environment. You excel at taking a high-level goal with no obvious solutions, quickly becoming an expert in the relevant areas of technology, and creating proof-of-concept prototypes as quickly as possible.
What You’ll Do:
You will be responsible for providing the link between the Advanced R&D to our supply chain, both internal and external.
- Within 2 weeks,
- Understand the current state of the next generation optical architectures
- Consult with relevant teams to understand current capabilities of the company and partners
- Within 4 weeks,
- Understand the various paths to manufacturing next generation optical architectures
- Simulate or create bench top models to verify and test elements of the manufacturing/process plans
- Work with all teams across the organization to create a roadmap for process development, supplier development, and manufacturing.
- Build external and internal relationships to further research objectives
- Within 2 months,
- Have completed first demonstration setups of initial process flow for next generation products both in-house and in conjunction with suppliers
- Create test setups and analysis code to verify performance of process flow
- Work with Advanced R&D team to create novel optical parts for experiments
- Within 4 months,
- Perform multiple process optimization steps
- Work with optical design teams to iterate the optical architecture with a view towards optimal yields
- Within 6 months and beyond,
- Have completed initial pilot line for next generation production in collaboration with other teams
What You’ll Need:
- Experience with process and product engineering
- Examples of designs being brought to mass production
- Ability to work in a fast paced, constantly evolving, environment
- Experience in complex optical fabrication techniques including
- Micro-optic assembly
- Freeform and diffractive optical testing
- Polymer chemistry
- Novel optical coatings
- Experience in optimizing automation of complex assemblies
Bonus points for:
- Complex optical interferometry experience.
- Experience with Zemax or Code V
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design.