Development Manager - Launch Engineering
As a Development Manager on Tulip's Launch Engineering team you will lead a small cross-functional team that is working on building and designing innovative solutions using the latest in web and mobile technology. You will work with global retail giants (Chanel, Coach, Saks Fifth Avenue) as well as smaller but technologically sophisticated retailers (Frank & Oak, Bonobos) in order to adapt and enhance Tulip’s platform to meet individual client requirements. As a member of Tulip’s Launch Engineering team, you will be on the front lines of a mid-sized startup that is poised to break into a massive untapped space.
Who you are:
The ideal candidate for this role will possess a strong background in designing, developing, and implementing custom software solutions for enterprise clients. You have a good understanding of iOS application development, and exposure to development across the full-stack, including web development and database development.
You will lead by example and provide directed guidance to ensure that the solutions we develop are of the highest quality, perform capably, scale elegantly, and are worthy of craft. As Senior Development Manager, you will be helping shape our software, our processes, and our people to consistently produce results that exceed our client expectations.
When you join Tulip, you’ll be part of a fast-growing group of people who come from different backgrounds, countries, and experience. We believe in investing in our people, building positive relationships with our customers, and treating our work like craft. We prioritize diversity, inclusion and building a community, and we stay humble and hungry.
What you'll do:
- Work side-by-side with your team to solve the day-to-day technical challenges, keep the team motivated and focused, identify opportunities for mentorship, and support a fun culture
- Manage and maintain overall software development process
- Create, prioritize, communicate, manage, and execute roadmaps, project plans, and commitments
- Hire, mentor, and review your team on an ongoing basis
- Offer hands-on assistance with work through familiarity with the tools, technologies and processes used in software development and QA
What you'll need:
- University Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years experience within development, with at least 2 year management or lead experience
- Experience in leading a team using Agile methodologies, including iteration, sprint planning, and scrum management
- Must be a hands-on coder, with strong coding skills and expertise in developing applications for a mobile platform
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
- Experience in developing SaaS applications for the cloud
- Familiar with containerization of applications using Docker
- Experience with managing and maintaining software revisions using Git
- Working understanding of relational database and SQL database concepts and best practices
- An environment passionate about growth and learning
- Flexible hours for our early risers and night owls
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Paid sick days
- 15 days of paid vacation
- Corporate gym rate
- Weekly team lunches with halal and vegetarian options
- Healthy (and less healthy) snacks and gourmet espresso
- Breathtaking Toronto office on the waterfront and close to Union station
- Creative community space in our Communitech home in Kitchener
What we do:
Tulip Retail is the first mobile platform built exclusively for store associates. Leading retailers like Saks Fifth Avenue, Coach, and Chanel believe in enabling the next generation of store associates with mobile technology using Tulip. We’re a team of experts who have worked with and for retailers over the past 20 years and are driven to build a company whose mission is to enable one of the world’s largest job markets. By placing Tulip-enabled iPads into the hands of associates, our goal is to provide them with instant and reliable access to product information, while also being able to transact, communicate, and collaborate in an omnichannel world.
We encourage applications from candidates of colour, women, queer candidates, candidates with family caregiving responsibilities, immigrant candidates, transgender candidates, and candidates with disabilities.
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply.