Software Engineer, Back End
You’re an accomplished software engineer who reasons from first principles and cares about the little details. You have experience using a variety of tools and know how to pick the right tool for the job. You’re a solid web developer who’s comfortable tinkering with HTML/CSS and with reasoning about complex distributed systems problems. You understand how to design APIs that are powerful yet simple, and you relish the challenge of building and scaling resilient systems that stand the test of time. You strive for continuous improvement in both yourself and your team. Finding innovative solutions to tough challenges excites you and you have the ability to convert ideas into reality.
What you’ll do:
- Design, develop, unit-test, and integrate back end components and services to power the wearable computing system of the future
- Write infrastructure-as-code, utilize continuous integration and container orchestration to automate deployments and scaling
- Build robust systems enabling others to make data-driven decisions
- Work closely with other software and hardware teams to successfully take product ideas from concept to release
- Work with multiple languages and frameworks
- Write functional and technical specifications to manage complexity, as necessary
What you need:
- Experience with relational databases and relational database design
- Experience planning and estimating software development tasks in an agile environment
- Experience writing unit-testable code
- Broad understanding of the design and architecture of modern web applications
- Proficiency with a VCS (preferably git)
- Degree in computer science, engineering, or equivalent (in lieu of degree, minimum four years of relevant work experience)
Bonus points for:
- Programming and scripting ability in other languages (Go, Python, Ruby)
- Experience with microservice-based back ends
- Familiarity with industry standard cloud providers (AWS/GCP)
- Familiarity with container orchestration platforms (Docker Swarm, Kubernetes)
- Familiarity with NoSQL/document databases and in-memory caches (MongoDB, Redis)
- Front end development experience
- Experience integrating with e-commerce platforms or ERP systems
- Relevant personal projects and open source work
- People leadership experience
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design.