Opto-mechanical Design Engineer
You’re a creative Opto-mechanical engineer with exceptional design intuition and a methodical approach for defining process. You want to help build a new computing form factor that has never existed before. You’ll work with our mechanical team to solve difficult problems, meet tight deadlines, and build awesome products, as well as assisting with designing for manufacture. If you have a strong mechanical background combined with an acute eye for detail and you’re excited to be part of a young, cutting-edge technology company, then this job may be for you!
What you will do:
- Solve complex engineering problems and develop innovative solutions
- Create thermal simulations in CAD to optimize system design and conduct empirical testing to correlate results to the simulation model
- Conduct FEA simulations on critical assemblies to asses stress and deflection
- System level layout of critical components where the balance of form, weight, CoG, thermal effects need to be considered to optimize the overall product
What you need:
- 8+ years of designing complex consumer products and experience with:
- Various manufacturing processes, materials, platings
- Designing small intricate parts with a high level of feature density.
- Precision mechanics with tight tolerances, GD&T and inspection drawings
- Working with adhesive for bonding critical components
- 3D CAD design experience
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team environment
Bonus points for:
- Worked within the wearables industry
- Sealing/waterproofing design experience.
- Tolerance stack calculations
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design.