The Scrum Master (SM) will be join one or more teams in a global cross-functional environment within the Consumer Business Unit at McAfee located in Waterloo, Ontario. The SM will work in conjunction with other SMs to observe and analyze various teams and how they employ Scrum, development practices, development tools, quality practices etc. and then provide recommendations and guidance to teams on how they can improve and align with each other so that they begin to operate in a uniform manner whether it’s related to code development practices or tools such as JIRA. SM will take on additional teams once a team becomes self-organizing, but will continue to monitor adherence to Scrum and agreed-upon processes and practices.
- Manages short- and long-term projects within McAfee in Agile Scrum framework.
- Experienced in driving Scrum processes, risk management, tracking dependencies and conflict resolution techniques.
- Clear understanding of the Product, Value, Vision which are being developed. Applies Data-driven perspective.
- Enables close communication and collaboration between Scrum team members as well as with other teams.
- Empowers and encourages team members to embrace a continuous improvement mindset, through retrospectives, and KPIs.
- Work with multiple simultaneous scrum teams to deliver releases.
- Builds trusting relationships with team and others through the demonstration of company Core Values
- Helps team track Definition of Done, and Quality deliverables
- Be able to set up all the Scrum ceremonies and invite the right participants to these meetings.
Skills required to be successful in the Scrum Master Role:
- Assessing the Scrum Maturity of the team and organization and coaching the team to higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization.
- Lead and influence others including those more senior on best practices
- Guiding the team and organization on how to use Agile/Scrum practices
- Guiding the team towards self-organization
- Tracking and removing or guiding the team on how to remove impediments by finding the right personnel to assist.
- Facilitating discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution by focusing on values of openness, honesty and respect.
- Assisting with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information.
- Work across multiple technical teams to develop high-quality software
- Facilitating getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work.
- Supporting and educating the Product Owner, especially on grooming and maintaining the product backlog.
- Experience with fundamentals of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency.
- Facilitating daily scrum, sprint planning, sprint demo and retrospective meetings.
- Inspire others to adopt the new processes and improvements based on retrospectives
- Needs to be expert in estimation and planning and know how to create useful, reliable and practical plans for software development projects
- Understand the value of metrics and how to employ them to track team progress and provide recommendations for improvement
- Strong adherence to definition of done and code quality standards/metrics
- Ability to shield the team from outside distractions and interferences.
- Ability to ensure the correct use of scrum process and coach team on Agile practices
- Knowledge of software development processes and procedures to understand team needs.
- Knowledge about Agile techniques like: User Stories, Continuous Integration, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games.
- Requires excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent mentoring and coaching skills.
- Basic knowledge of project management principles and the ability to apply the principles, tools and techniques to develop/plan, manage or execute projects or work plans to ensure successful completion (e.g., on time, within budget).
Technical Skills Required:
- Strong understanding of software development and best practices
- Any programming skills would be an asset (C++, .Net, Python, Angular, React etc.)
- Worked with JIRA and Confluence or other similar Agile/software development tools
- Understanding of unit testing and automation methodologies and tools (Jenkins etc.)
- Strong understanding of continuous development and integration environments
Additional qualities of a Scrum Master
- The scrum master needs to possess the emotional intelligence and relationship skills to guide, coach, and support the team, helping it to grow and leading by example.
- The scrum master must be humble enough to recognize that others may have a different way of approaching a problem and allow them to experiment and learn.
- Scrum masters focus on relationships and conversations.
- a Scrum Master does assume responsibility for the team’s adoption of Scrum and practice of it.
- Scrum Masters need to be aware of what’s happening with the team without crossing the line into micromanagement. To do this they need to be able to check in without making it feel like they’re checking up.
- they offer real help in removing any obstacles or distractions that are impeding that progress. They avoid blaming individuals at all costs. And, perhaps most importantly, they ensure the team is given complete autonomy to solve whatever problem they’ve been given.
- You helped the team achieve their success. And that’s very important. But they achieved it. Make sure they--and others--recognize and respect that fact. To be the Scrum Master your team needs, make the shift in your own head from “Look what I did!” to “Look what I helped the team do!”
- Push the team to improve. Are too many bugs escaping into production? That might be a good time to suggest incorporating new engineering practices: test-driven development, pair programming, continuous delivery or so on.
- Insist on timely participation in every daily scrum. Be vigilant about getting everyone’s input in team discussions such as sprint retrospectives.
- Hold the team to account…every sprint…every time. Your team might not always like it at first, but soon they’ll come to recognize the benefits of holding steadfast to agile principles.
- The best Scrum Masters have the technical, market, or specific knowledge to help the team in pursuit of its goal. That means knowing enough about key technical issues to understand the problem and be able to explain it to others in the organization when necessary. And it means knowing how decisions are made in the organization, who makes them, which coalitions exist, and so on.
- Successful Scrum Masters know how to influence others, both on the team and outside it. A Scrum Master should know how to exert influence without resorting to a command-and-control “because I say so” style.
- Facilitate team in scrum ceremonies including daily stand-up, release planning, sprint planning, story grooming, sprint reviews, and sprint retrospectives.
- Use quantitative data and qualitative insights to discover and highlight opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Develop and implement strategies for helping assigned teams grow into higher levels of team maturity with the goal of maximizing value delivery to customers.
- Build a trusting and safe team environment where all team members can raise issues accordingly.
- Partner with Product Owner to facilitate long-range estimation and planning.
- Ensure teams understand their purpose and can connect their work to the product and company strategy.
- Identify risks and facilitate team efforts to mitigate impact.
- Demonstrate McAfee values.
- Bachelors Degree (or equivalent experience)
- 3+ years of experience
- Scrum Master with experience facilitating more than 1 team concurrently
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with SAFe and multiple agile teams.
- Expertise in working with Agile tools, emphasis on JIRA.
- Software Development and/or Testing experience will be a value add.
- CSM or equivalent training/certification
More search results
After-Hours Support Representative (Casual/Contra…
Product Prototyper (Coop / Intern)
Engineer (Chemical, Environmental or Biochemical)
W&Y Environmental International Inc.
Oculys Health Informatics
Incident Management Centre Representative
Descartes Systems Group