Sensor Systems Architect
You’re a senior sensor system architect with experience developing various solutions in technically challenging products. You're a hands-on designer and are the kind of person who has all the answers to life's toughest sensor related engineering problems. You’ve previously held senior roles developing successful sensor fusion related solutions within the consumer technologies space and now you’re ready for the next challenge. As an sensor architect, you will focus on design and development of state-of-the-art solutions for our products while delivering manufacturable designs to agreed specifications within time and budget constraints. If you're often referred to as “the expert” in terms of the “go to” person for answers, and are a natural team player who wants to change the future of wearable tech, this may be the job for you!
- Within 30 days you will:
- Come up to speed on the current design and technologies we’re using.
- Make recommendations to existing designs as needed.
- Assist product teams with feature definitions and higher level requirements, then translate the needs to engineering specifications at system and subsystem levels (both hardware and software) as well as interactions among the system and subsystems.
- Create multi-sensor requirements, comparisons, architecture definition, and integration solutions for optimal system performance by engaging with cross-functional teams.
- Beyond 30 days you will:
- Define and work with cross-functional teams to build required gimbaling systems for test development, support tech’s.
- Create and continually update cross comparison tables of sensor component roadmap offerings from vendors to drive optimal performing fusion solutions.
- Document and disseminate information for specifications, design performance and test strategies through the entire product development cycle.
- Assist in creation of mathematical models and simulations for evaluating sensor data fusion performance using software tools.
- Push the boundaries of accuracy, noise, and other performance indicators for a variety of sensing systems with best possible architectural and algorithmic design.
- Work with various teams to prototype, characterize, and validate advanced sensor fusion solutions to assist locational and contextual awareness states that take advantage of novel sensor choices and configurations.
- Design direction for electro-mechanical test fixtures, such as gimbaling systems, to support MEMs development testing and for manufacturing support.
- Analysis of system performance (including periodic analysis of data collected from field tests).
What you need:
- MSc or PhD in one of the following: Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or related scientific or engineering discipline
- 8+ years experience in the development of tracking and sensor fusion solutions
- Strong mathematical background required
- Have prior experience in sensor modeling and fusion at different levels
- Proven fluency in Matlab/Simulink or equivalent
- Inquisitive, proactive, and interested in learning new tools and techniques
- extensive MEMs accelerometer, magnetometer, gyroscope and barometer component characterization
- Strong background in Kalman filtering, linear algebra, vector analysis, and non-linear optimization techniques
- Qualification and verification work in low power embedded designs
Bonus points for:
- Experience leading complex, cross-functional technical projects
- Fluency in Python and/or C++ is a plus
- Ability to rapidly become proficient in unfamiliar fields
- Ability to reason at any portion of the implementation, within hardware/software and calibration
- Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design