You’re an experienced optical engineer with expertise in designing or working with challenging optical systems. You can draw upon your experience to create innovative optical solutions to tackle some of the hardest problems in the AR market. You have a passion for optics and stay on top of all the latest technology and developments in the field. You thrive in dynamic, cross-disciplinary team environments and enjoy opportunities to contribute your ideas.
In this role you’ll be called upon to contribute to the design and development of market-changing AR products. We offer a fast-paced, interdisciplinary environment that will grow your skills. You’ll be part of a large optical community with expertise in many sub-disciplines, where learning and the sharing of knowledge is part of the culture. Constant learning will be a regular part of your day. You will have the opportunity to play a critical role in the development of our next generation products.
What You’ll Do
- Within 20 days:
- Develop a solid understanding of current optical designs, including the optical projection system in our current Focal product.
- Within 40 days, achieve at least two of the following:
- Understand the existing manufacturing and assembly processes
- Develop deeper understanding of the MEMs components, the advanced components (i.e. free form surfaces, diffractive optics, and other technologies employed by our current product or being developed for our next gen products).
- Develop familiarity with optical models (Zemax) and start developing optimization merit functions to support development programs
- Be able to review and develop workable assembly and alignment strategies
- Within 60 days and beyond:
- Contribute optical design improvements to meet specific objectives
- Develop optical design concepts into feasible design models
- Develop tolerancing models to support fabrication and assembly of product
- Specify optical components to manufacturers for fabrication
- Contribute to the design of assembly and alignment fixtures
Bonus points for:
- Expertise in Zemax or Code V or other optical ray tracing software
- Experience with non-sequential ray tracing, physical optics simulation software
- Experience in AR/VR
- Experience with tolerancing and/or straylight analysis
- A good understanding of optical metrology and fabrication methods
- Experience in working in and supporting an optical production environment
- Experience leading complex, cross-functional technical projects
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design.