You're an advocate for the user with a passion for crafting engaging and intuitive experiences. You love experimenting with technology and aren’t afraid to fail on the path to deeper understanding. You're thoughtful and creative, with a need to express yourself through hands-on work. You can quickly pull together prototypes to test and iterate on designs and are adept at finding ways around limitations in existing hardware and software. You are excited to work with talented designers and engineers who are pushing the boundaries of human-computer interaction and redefining the smartglasses product category.
- Within three months
- Develop product and feature concepts with product managers, designers, software engineers, and researchers
- Understand our target user and be able to provide constructive feedback on concepts from a user’s perspective
- Work with the other team members to rapidly build and iterate on appropriate-fidelity prototypes to test concepts
- Select and use the best tools and technologies to create prototypes, and propose new tools and technologies to make the team more effective
- Know who the various domain experts are across the software organization and be able to seek help in working on things outside your own core expertise
- Find creative ways to exploit the advantages of our smartglasses platform and work around any limitations
- Work with researchers to design and conduct experiments to evaluate prototypes
- Clearly articulate findings from evaluative research to inform product direction
- Be capable of answering questions from others on our processes, tools, and techniques
- Guide larger concept design, prototyping, and evaluation projects
- Work with production design and engineering teams to ensure proven concepts are successfully implemented in shipped products
- Invent new ways for humans to interact with each other and their environment through smartglasses and other wearable computers
What you need:
- Experience designing user interfaces, interactions, or experiences (UI/IxD/UX)
- A portfolio or other proven work rapidly building prototypes at minimum fidelity required to prove or disprove design concepts
- A high degree of user empathy and curiosity about human behaviour
- Ability to start new projects from scratch and the will to end them if they fail
- Degree in computer science, engineering, HCI, or equivalent (in lieu of degree, minimum four years of relevant work experience)
Bonus points for:
- Experience with user research or generative, exploratory or evaluative research in human-computer interaction
- Experience implementing applications across several form factors and input methods or work on a product that combines both software and hardware
- Experience using Qt/QML
- Proven ability to quickly learn new languages, frameworks, and platforms
- Relevant personal projects or open source work
- Proficiency with git
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design.
More search results
After-Hours Support Representative (Casual/Contra…
Product Prototyper (Coop / Intern)
Engineer (Chemical, Environmental or Biochemical)
W&Y Environmental International Inc.
Oculys Health Informatics
Incident Management Centre Representative
Descartes Systems Group