If you have a strong engineering background combined with an acute eye for detail and you’re excited to be part of a growing cutting-edge technology company, this role may be for you! You’re a creative CMF Designer with aspirations to bring to life the strategic design palette for a global product portfolio. You have a great appreciation for CMF and how it affects customers on an emotional level. You also understand how CMF specifications support the functional requirements of the design. You enjoy working with a best-in-class mechanical team to solve difficult problems, meet tight deadlines, build amazing products, and assist with designing for manufacture.
What You’ll Do:
- Work with existing product development and ID teams to create technical CMF specifications for all cosmetic parts
- Source and audit vendors to evaluate capabilities and quality
- Coordinate suppliers to organize and control the development of CMF samples and the evaluation of limit samples
- Travel and work onsite with suppliers to optimize the manufacturing and finishing process
- Create and maintain CMF documentation and establish a CMF reference library
What You'll Need:
You have 8+ years experience working with suppliers to optimize the visual appearance and quality of complex consumer products as it relates to colour, material and finish. A high level of experience is required in the following areas:
- Creation CMF (colour, material, finish) specifications for complex consumer type electronic products
- Appreciation of the value of ID and how to balance technical requirements with product vision
- Multiple manufacturing processes and materials including injection moulding, machining, casting, and stamping
- Various finishing processes including painting, plating, PVD, tumbling, and polishing
- Research into materials, component technologies, advanced manufacturing processes to scope development opportunities
- Troubleshooting of manufacturing process and finishing issues to optimize yields
- Being a lead contributor on several full product development life cycles from concept to delivery
- Managing/leading ODM/JDM partners through the development process
- Frequent travel to work with overseas suppliers
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design.