You're a champion for the user with a passion for crafting engaging and intuitive experiences. You love staying current and experimenting with technology and aren’t afraid to fail on the path to deeper understanding. Function and efficiency are as important to you as aesthetics. You strive for continuous improvement in both yourself and your team. You're thoughtful and creative, with a need to express yourself through hands-on work. You are excited to work with other talented software engineers and designers who are pushing the boundaries of human-computer interaction.
What you’ll do:
- Develop clean, intuitive, and flexible user interfaces for unique web and mobile applications
- Build tools and services to help internal teams solve challenging problems, automate tasks and visualize data
- Ensure our websites and applications look beautiful on any screen, feel performant, and are accessible to everyone
- Stay current on design trends, cutting-edge web technologies and standards
- Work closely with product management, design, manufacturing, and other teams to take products from concept to release
What you’ll need:
- Familiarity with JS frameworks (React, Angular, Vue, etc.)
- Experience working with REST APIs
- A high bar for code quality and performance
- Experience planning and estimating software development tasks in an agile environment
- Broad understanding of the design and architecture of modern web applications
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Degree in computer science, engineering or equivalent (in lieu of degree, minimum four years of relevant work experience)
Bonus points for:
Here are some other things you'll become great at if you join the team, but bonus points if you've already got a head start with experience with...
- CSS preprocessors (SASS, LESS, etc.)
- Redux, Flux or related state architecture libraries/frameworks
- Server deployment/configuration (Node, SSL, Express)
- Writing unit tests, test harnesses/frameworks
- Relevant personal projects, open-source contributions or community engagements
- Build systems and tooling (Webpack, Babel, Browserify)
- Relational/NoSQL Databases (PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, etc.)
- Cloud hosting platforms (Heroku, AWS, Kubernetes)
- Containerization technology such as Docker or similar
- People leadership
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design.