Supplier Development Engineer
You are a passionate development engineer with experience developing custom hardware components for the consumer electronics industry. You know how to navigate the complex path from concept definition to mass production readiness. You possess a broad technical knowledge base grounded in a technical degree and rounded out through experience working in highly technical environments. You love solving complex technical problems. You have experience directing the activities of a small internal team, leading them with integrity, and inspiring and enabling them to deliver to plan. You are flexible and able to react quickly in dynamic environments. You get stuff done.
What you'll do:
- Lead a small internal technical team and manage external suppliers to specify, develop, and qualify custom components. Typical activities will include:
- Setting design intent and technical direction
- Anticipating and reacting to issues as they arise (communication, mitigation, schedule impact, etc.)
- Vendor management (scheduling, resourcing, task management)
- Team leadership, providing timely feedback and coaching
- Owning the component specification
- Developing the expertise required to have complete technical understanding of the custom component that you are delivering
- Working closely with other internal teams to ensure their needs are being met (specifications, testing, production quantities, supplier quality, supply chain, etc.)
- Auditing vendor manufacturing processes and quality control systems to ensure ramp readiness
What you need:
- Experience managing complex technical projects, specifically in the field of electronic or optical component (or similar) manufacturing
- Experience leading technical teams both internally and externally
- A broad technical knowledge base and the ability to develop deep understanding in specific areas as needed
- A meticulous nature and attention to detail
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, both internally and especially externally to suppliers
- Flexibility to take on a variety of tasks
Bonus points for:
- PMP Designation
- Manufacturing or Quality Assurance experience
- Commodity management and/or contract negotiation experience
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.