About the work
Back-End Developer, you’ll be joining a growing team of developers at Green Brick Labs. You will work in two week sprints for a large project using the latest and greatest tech. You will work with PHP and GO on the back-end and work on projects that leverage the power of microservices. You’ll integrate your code with intuitive and dynamic UIs, and ensure that your code is scalable and secure. Your work will be used by tens of thousands of end users (and growing every day!). You will also assist in the mentoring of our Junior and Intermediate developers and help them to become as technically awesome as you are!
You have a passion for programming — so much so that you program in your spare time! You’re energetic, and eager to bring your best ideas to the table. You have proven experience working with open source technology and you love to learn new and bleeding edge tech. You understand that innovation is seldom a linear path, and sometimes you need to take a step to the side, or back, to allow for a new path to become clear. You take pride in your own work and accomplishments, but just as much in the achievements of your team. You are honest, upfront and don’t take yourself too seriously.
About the tech
Here’s some of the tools and technologies we work with:
- We love open source
- PHP / GO
- PostgreSQL / MongoDB
- Bit Bucket
- Web sockets
Don’t worry — We don’t expect you to be familiar with them all. We value the power of learning on the job!
- Work with our architects to define high-level solutions to tech problems.
- Perform coding work as per project requirements or based on the needs of the technical, support, or marketing teams.
- Follow code management procedures for proper revision control.
- Prepare documentation, workflows, charts and diagrams for use by users or staff.
- Investigate whether the network, hardware, and software are able to cope with projected load on the system.
- Respond quickly to bugs which made it into production.
- Participate in the scrum development process.
- Write unit tests for all your work.
- Perform code reviews.
- Post Secondary Degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 5 years working experience in software engineering.
- Experience working in a Linux environment.
- Knowledge of Relational Databases like PostgreSQL.
- Knowledge of Non-Relational Databases like MongoDB.
- Mastery in software engineering tools.
- Experience working in an agile scrum development environment.
The GBL Community
Our team is composed of dedicated professionals, but we’re also made up of energetic people who enjoy quirky hobbies, activities, sports, and lives outside of the office. Here are some things we’ve done in the past:
- A visit from a few cute and cuddly therapy dogs
- Mario Kart and Foosball tournaments
- Axe throwing!
- Monthly visits to the Canadian Blood Services Clinic
- Volunteering at the Hacienda community garden
Why join us?
- Challenging and rewarding work
- Casual work environment
- Flexible working hours
- Well stocked coffee cupboard, and beer fridge
- Awesome office space
- GRSP matching program.
- We offer an environment where you can have fun and truly be part of the team
Thank-you for your interest in Green Brick Labs. While we’re not able to reach out to everyone who applies, we will contact you if your skills and experience are a match for the role. Otherwise, we’ll keep your resume in case there is a match with future opportunities.
Green Brick Labs is committed to supporting inclusion, diversity and accessibility to all employees. We are proud to operate as an equal opportunity employer.