- $90K-$120K base salary + performance bonus
- Job Function
- Design & UX, Engineering
- Job Type
- Full time
- Salary Estimate
- 100,000 - 119,999
- Company Size
- Enterprise (500+)
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference and a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
We're not who you think we are.
What if I told you that Manulife, a financial company, has a supportive work environment with flexible hours, jeans, and work from home arrangements? What if I told you we're working towards modern tools/processes and striving to innovate while growing our business?
We're a large company that embraces diversity and hires loads of talented people, and we are going through a transformation to ensure we continue to evolve our great technology division - within our great financial company.
Can you help us help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations?!
GBRS (Group Benefits and Group Retirement) Technology is looking to grow our technical architecture practice with more talent like you. In particular, the Group Benefits (GB) team is looking for flexible, resilient, energetic IT professionals with an engineering mindset, that understand how to deliver what the customer wants and needs, through great collaboration with business and IT partners. Do you agree that great value is found with giving customers what they want, when they want, where they want? Then keep reading…
As a GB team member, you will help identify, recommend and deliver on technology solutions that do just that. You’ll partner with a number of other talented IT professionals to design and implement cross-platform, highly-componentized solutions to delight our customers as they enroll for benefits, check their balances, submit claims, etc. You will have the exciting challenge of tackling some pretty complex business use cases and being at the forefront of the technology journey to solve them, helping transform our group benefits world!
What’s the job?
We have a number of different assignments within our GB Transformation program, however we’re looking for a Solution Architect, to help transform our Policy Administration application landscape. As a member of the Admin System Transformation (AST) program, you will:
- Work with business partners, Business Architects/Systems Consultants, platform engineers and delivery squads to intimately understand the group benefits customer journey vision.
- In particular, for business capabilities like Quoting, Quote to Issue, Policy Administration, Renewals for both internal and external users (e.g. GB Advisors)
- Build an understanding of the target business process and help design the data requirements for capture, to enable those business processes
- Identify options and make recommendations on the technology solutions we can implement to meet those journey goals – this includes presenting information and a compelling case to bring our architecture governance/oversight bodies on board!
- Work with a cross-functional IT team to design and implement those technology recommendations, balancing current state environment and constraints with the target-state architectural frameworks and vision in place for the organization
- Connect with architecture team members across the enterprise to understand what business problems they’re working to solve and if/how we can leverage those wins for Group Benefits too! We’re obsessed with re-use!
Last year, Manulife/John Hancock spent over $1 billion on technology!
To be a fit for this Solution Architect assignment, we need someone with:
- Proven experience architecting and supporting implementation of infrastructure components for software implementation, both on-premises and in-cloud
- Knowledge/experience with architecting full-stack technology solutions, including backend, data layers, integration APIs, customer/engagement tiers, etc.
- Key technologies include:
- Cloud – our strategic vision is to move relevant/applicable solutions to the cloud environment
- .NET (current state environment)
- SQL server (current state environment)
- Expertise with performance and capacity planning and testing
- Experience as a key leader/advisor on the architecture, design and development of wide-reaching technology components
- A constant eye to the future – we need thought leaders who thrive on learning about what’s on the horizon and seeing if/how it can apply to the customer challenges we need to solve
- The ability to translate complex business problems into technical solutions and complex technical solutions into business capabilities and functionality
- Flexibility to tailor your delivery to what’s right for the project/deliverables – Agile, Scrum, Kanban, Waterfall, hybrid, etc.
- Experience with DevOps is an asset, as we’re transforming to embrace continuous integration, continuous delivery, etc.
- Drive forward critical discussions and key decisions through ongoing collaboration with others and urgency, when necessary, to maintain momentum
- You can lead a team of developers – balancing setting a vision/direction with giving team members space to explore and experiment
- Willingness and ability to both lead AND get hands to keyboard. For example, we’re engaged in a lot of Proof of Technology and Proof of Concepts that need both!
- Demonstrated success in sorting through and making sense of diverse information
- Killer skills in simplifying complex information – verbally and visually – to help bring people along the information and solution journey
- Strong ability to form solid recommendations – based on right level of information, analysis, vetting – and influence others to come on board
- Knowing how to seek out the right information and ask the right questions
- Exceptional collaboration skills – ability to work with a large, diverse group of cross-functional team members and drive progress!
- Open and honest – can listen to and respect the ideas of others, but effective at respectfully challenging others and giving feedback in the moment
- You’re a quick learner and you have an unlimited aptitude and excitement for learning new stuff!
What’s in it for YOU?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, to model progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- Competitive compensation
- Retirement Savings Accounts including a RPP (Pension Plan), RRSP (Retirement Savings Plan), and TFSA (Tax Free Savings account)
- Manulife Share Ownership Program with employer matching
- Customizable Benefits Package including Health, Dental, Vision, and 100% of Mental Health expenses
- Financial support for ongoing training, learning, and education
- Wearing jeans to work every day
- An abundance of career paths and opportunities to advance
- A flexible work environment with flex hours, work from home arrangements and distributed teams
Ok, I'm Sold. What’s next?
Send us a resume and a letter telling us a bit about yourself and why you want to work with us…we'd love to hear from you and get the conversation started!