Thalmic Labs is making revolutionary wearable technologies that will fundamentally change the way people interact with computers. Research and Development and Strategic Sourcing at Thalmic Labs is the cornerstone to realizing these revolutionary technologies; both now and in the future. To deliver the ultimate consumer experience in new products, Thalmic will need to source new components from both established and emerging technologies. In some cases, the type of component will already be available from several suppliers, in other cases the component will already be available, but not in the exact desired configuration. There will also be cases the component is not yet being produced by any supplier. Successful sourcing will involve creating new relationships and partnerships as well as fostering existing relationships for growth.
The Strategic Sourcing Analyst will actively source the best candidate suppliers, convince and manage them to develop &/or supply the desired component(s) for Thalmic’s R&D requirements, and will ultimately select the best candidate supplier(s) to partner and incorporate the design for mass production.
- Within 30 days:
- Gain understanding of the current product BOM, characteristics and issues
- Understand future generation system architectures, requirements, and issues
- Understand Thalmic product timelines and schedules
- Gain understanding of current Thalmic systems: Netsuite, Arena, Confluence
- Review and understand current supply base, including strategic suppliers
- Establish key contacts across all Thalmic functional groups (R&D, engineering, finance, manufacturing, marketing, product etc.…)
- Read papers, textbooks, and documentation
- Consult Concept Design Lead, System Design Leads and Researchers
- Attend, arrange and begin to facilitate R&D supplier meetings
- Within 90 days:
- Have an agreed list of technologies, established or emerging that are aligned with Thalmic’s R&D requirements and product roadmap
- Understand R&D, engineering, manufacturing, finance and supply chain objectives, and issues and collaborate with these teams to optimize the supplier sourcing process
- Identify the sources for the agreed list of technologies; whether researchers, entrepreneurs or established companies
- Develop templates and or management tools for R&D supplier sourcing
- Within 6-months:
- Establish relationships with the best candidate sources of the technologies
- Organize, manage, share and communicate internal vendor research that enables Thalmic to make informed decisions around technology, and supplier selection
- Collaborate with R&D, engineering, manufacturing, supply chain and finance to:
- Enable feedback, and the sharing of expertise across multiple disciplines
- Bridge functional priorities to support the overall business vision & objectives
- Communicate R&D supplier initiatives and priorities
- Promote best practices, lessons learned, and continuous improvement
- Work alongside the Strategic Sourcing Manager and Technology Analyst and develop a plan to evaluate the chosen supplier and the technology they offer
- Manage day to day R&D supplier relationships and interactions including: initial engagement, NDAs, statements of work, development contracts, forecast and schedule sharing, internal and external vendor related meetings facilitation, vendor information, vendor related action logs and owner accountability
- Work with the supplier in execution of the evaluation plan and consider the results obtained
- Hilight and recommend technologies and suppliers to the R&D team
- Incorporate and manage program cost targets and initiatives, dual sourcing if appropriate, and material procurement
- Identify material, supplier and/or technology risks and propose mitigation strategies to these risks
What You Need:
- 5+ years of supply chain experience within a high volume consumer electronics environment
- BS/BA or diploma in the Supply Chain Management profession or equivalent education
- C.P.P. or SCMP designation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrable ability to work on cross-functional and collaborative teams
- Ability to work during evenings to communicate with remote suppliers as required
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.