Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Do you want to be part of the team that redefines how we get work done? We are changing the way we develop software and we want you to be part of it! We are growing our Software Engineering teams, with the mandate to power world-class customer and employee experiences through software and engineering skills.
The customer is at the focus of everything we do, and millions of end users rely on our products daily. We believe in the value of empowering engineers with the resources to solve critical problems for the future of the business, which is why we need you.
We are seeking a self-motivated engineering manager who still loves to be involved in software development, who is passionate about delivering value, is visionary, and excited to see the successful implementation of the products they deliver. Our current opportunity is available in Kitchener/Waterloo, but we will also consider you in Montreal.
As a Software Engineering Manager you will:
- Lead a team of 20 to 30 software engineers, including hiring and performance management
- Help lead the transformation to a new technology stack
- Help lead the transformation to truly agile squads
- With the other development managers, train and coach our engineers
- Bring your technical expertise to the delivery squads you support
- Work with delivery teams to ensure squads have optimal performance
Last year Manulife / John Hancock spent over $1 billion on technology. You will be working with:
- Cloud Foundry and other components supporting a highly-automated global engineering platform
- Open source! As we accelerate our delivery of world-class experiences, we know embracing open source technologies will help us get there. Any experience with open source is very attractive to us!
We are recruiting for a manager that is current with at least part of our technology stack and has the skill and energy to support the changes we’re making to our engineering practices. We want someone that has proven current technical ability, has managed people, and has a dream to affect change. This position would be a great match for someone who enjoys achieving results by enabling individuals and teams.
- Current or very recent software development experience in some of Java (especially Spring Boot), Node.js, React, HTML5, and CSS.
- Experience working on agile teams, with a preference for Scrum
- Proven ability to lead organizational change
- Currently a working development manager or team lead ready for the next step
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work with remote teams and/or individuals
Want to learn more? Apply today, we are eager to speak with you!
If you are ready to unleash your potential it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. At the end of 2016, we had $977 billion (US$728 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made almost $26 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.