Regional People Business Partner
GHD is one of the world’s leading professional services companies operating in the global markets of water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation.
Privately owned by our people, GHD provides engineering, environmental and construction services to private and public sector clients across five continents and the Pacific region. Focused on creating lasting community benefit, our connected global network of 8500 people delivers projects with high standards of safety, quality and ethics.
Committed to sustainable development, GHD improves the physical, natural and social environments of the many communities in which we operate.
GHD is seeking a Regional People Business Partner to join our spacious and modern office in Waterloo, ON for a one-year contract.
The Regional People Business Partner (PBP), in collaboration with the Regional People Leader (RPL), will provide HR Generalist support to GHD’s Ontario Region, helping align HR strategies to business objectives. Serving as a strategic business partner to senior leaders (Principals) and managers, the PBP will provide guidance and support on a wide range of people related issues. The PBP is the first point of contact for employees in multiple offices. As a member of the greater People team, this PBP will develop partnerships across the People function, collaborating with the Centers of Excellence (COE); Talent Acquisition, Total Rewards, Talent Management & Diversity, Learning & Development, and Global HR Information Systems, to proactively develop integrated people solutions for the region.The PBP is a strategic partner with their business counterparts, providing not only operational support, but also thought leadership on strategic HR programs and initiatives to improve business performance.
• Strategic Partnership
• Maintain thorough understanding of business strategy and organizational plans and assist the business in achieving their goals by identifying People resources and organizational issues and by leading the analysis & diagnosis of client needs
Learning & Development
• Support and encourage a leadership and coaching culture amongst Principals and managers in the region
• Coach business leaders on issues of effective team building and organizational effectiveness
Performance & Talent Management
• Drive the people processes (performance, development, and career) to ensure that employees’ level of performance and capabilities meet current and future standards
• Coordinate and implement employee engagement programs to continually improve employee engagement
• Coach and support managers in the development of performance improvement plans/progressive discipline procedures and assist in the coordination of the annual Performance Review process.
• Coordinate with all parties to ensure a smooth process for new starters throughout the onboarding program
• Manage departure procedures for resignations/terminations including paperwork, exit interviews, sensitive issues, etc.
Compensation & Benefits
• Work with managers and employees and the Total Rewards COE and payroll department on change of status, earnings and deductions
• Implement HR policies and reward strategy to ensure that all reward decisions are fair and objective
• Provide advice and coaching to employees and manages where appropriate
• Elevate risk related employment and employee relations issues to the RPL and participate in developing solutions
• Assist in coordinating the annual Performance Review process including scheduling, training sessions, monitoring/reporting
• Provide guidance to and advise our people and management regarding GHD policies, procedures, programs and legislation.
• Conduct workplace investigations
• Maintain thorough knowledge of legislative compliance and work with RPL regarding legislative updates
• Support the Benefits COE with to return-to-work programs
• Collaborate with the RPL on pay equity and employment equity programs
Skills, Experience & Qualifications:
• Degree/Diploma in Human Resources, Industrial Relations, Business Administration or related field of study
• Minimum 5 years' experience as a human resources professional
• Understanding of and/or experience in professional services firms
• Relevant Regional HR Certification considered an asset
• Knowledgeable in principles and practices of human resources, employment law and other Provincially specific compliance regulations
• Demonstrated ability to navigate employee relations issues and challenges with tact and diplomacy
• Well-developed communication skills, both oral and written
• Strong interpersonal and relationship skills; ability to build rapport with others.
• Ability to multi task.
• Sound judgment, business acumen and the ability to make a contribution to the business as a whole
• Successfully operate in an autonomous working environment
• Ability and confidence to effectively manage ambiguity
• Ability to travel on occasion to other offices within Ontario as needed
We offer a professional working environment and culture and believe that work / life balance is critical to the success and happiness of our people. We also offer competitive salary packages based on qualifications, skills and experience.
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, GHD will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.